Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Minster Engines

Buda

Anyone had any experience of the Sport165 conversion to the 1600K? is it any good, with a budget of £4K is this the wrong way to go faster?, its an EU3 engine so emerald etc is out at present, extra cost of rewiring loom etc not good value. As car is factory built and therefore needs cat converter I'm leaving the exhaust alone, I'm not having any more holes cut in the car either.

I've got hold of a pre-EU3 loom for my engine, I hoping that the cost of modifying it to drive the EU3 ignition sub-loom will not be outrageous - I'm hoping to get it up and running with the Emerald by the end of the week (fat chance, but I can hope!)

Miraz

Buda,

Have you looked at costing a MBE 967 and an R500/SLR Racecar loom??

Count managed to get the whole lot for under £300 secondhand, lucky bugger......

That would leave you with enough cash for some steel rods, forged pistons, throttle bodies and cams - read SLR eater......

Fat Arn - (Now K Series Expert)

This is a Testid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - Fat Arnie on 19 Mar 2002 14:55:51

That seems a little expensive to me, for that sort of money you could easily be getting in excess of 190BHP with forged pistons to boot. The Emerald upgrade will get you to 160-165BHP at less than £1800 (cams, TBs, ECU, airbox).

There are many other permutations which will give different levels of ouput at lower prices.

Oily

Ive actually be looking at a second hand (rebuilt) minster 200bhp 1.8K engine - all in, straight forward swap over - trouble is its around 2K more than I've got. My other idea was to sneak down your way and secretly leave it in your garage arnie, you probably wouldn't notice and carry on your upgrading, it might come out a silly colour but it would probably be faster.

As you said though, loom etc is one idea (only thought of buying new) but when we start mentioning internals it sort of makes me go cold, i.e. that means engine out etc, and its my only car so that means holidays from work. I know that count mentioned he had the ss kit coming up for grabs and this is another option, however my budget will probably allow me to do better if you like.

In all honesty, I'm not that mechanically minded and need some help - literally, trouble is I'm not sure who the north western equivalent of you or PC, oily etc is, especially when it comes to K series engines... Any offers???? (c.v. in writing for approval, I'm not letting just anyone near my baby) I'm programming this work in for June/July and WANT (not cabable however) to do this

myself.

I bought a new loom from minister (check the specials page!), but there is a rover breakers in Northwich who had them sitting on the shelf - probably much more convenient for you. Once you've got rid of the EU3 ecu limitation then you'll be able to add TB, cams, etc as you go...

Go and see Mike at Mickanics in Congleton, he will sort you out. Do not be put off by the premises, the lad is very skilled at building engines. The results of some of the so called bespoke engine builers when taken down again beggars belief!