Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How do you attach 6-point harnesses ?

Stopher-Walker

I've just bought an "unwanted", new 4-point harness, for my '97 de-dion. I have managed (even with my lack of technical know-how) to fit this with no problem (apart from which of the two holes to fasten the outer strap - I guessed it was the one further from the centre - so the straps were roughly even ??).

The problem is, I was also given an older 6-point harness, but I don't know how to fix it to the car ? I am going to use as a passesnger one - most of the time I'll be using the car on my own.

The top half of the harness is no problem as, I think, it fits like a four-point. I was going to leave it as a four-point, but realised that the quick-release fastener/'buckle' was fixed to the lower 'crutch straps'. The two lower straps come from a single 'buckle' and each, of course, has a 'buckle' on the opposit end. I have taken my passenger seat out to try and help me fathom out where they go, but to no avail.

I presume that they can't fit to the seat fixing, as the bolts aren't the same diameter and anything put under the flat-bottom of my adjustable-seat would focus the weight of the passesnger around the bolt and not the full length of the seat (?)Do I have to drill new holes along the strengthened section that the seat is attached to ?

Finally, is it wise to use 'lock-tite', etc. to make sure that the bolts don't come undone ?

Thanks in anticipation

Firstly, I would be very wary of using an 'older' harness. If you are 100% happy with it though, I would have thought the best place for it would be on your side - not the passengers. They can hang on, you must be in control.

The crutch straps on my chassis ('95) are mounted on the same bolt as the lap straps. However, I believe that now they must be mounted using individual bolts. I would think that seperate bushes are welded in place for this on new chassis'.

In place you sit on the crutch straps, do not feed under your seat!

You must be 100% about the harness, God forbid you find out they have been stretched/damaged in the past.Better safe than sorry - buy a matching set