Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front anti roll bar

Nick

I have the rear anti roll bar on my 1.6K Supersport set to the stiffest setting; I have the red bushed front anti roll bar; I run A032Rs on 13" wheels, and am about to go for more of a 'race' geometry flat floor setup (toe out instead of toe in, etc). Fun is split between trackdays and road bimbling.

Does anyone run something like the above but with the orange bushed (thinner than red) front anti-roll bar? Is it ridiculously tail happy or very nice thank?!

Thanks, Nick

Ooh no, Missus, that wouldn't work with mine! I originally had the very thin orange bushed arb (32 mm circumference) rather than the usual orange (42 mm) and no arb and that had chronic understeer. The rear arb plus red arb (52 mm circumference) has got rid of a lot of it but not all; I am tempted to try the usual orange arb as in my quest for oversteer!

Thanks for your reply though - as you say, spring rates, etc make a difference too, not to mention driving style.

Nick

Thanks for your comments Dave (and Mike - again!)

Hyperion are doing a flat floor setup for me next week, and they have also mentioned ride height. I will chat it over more with them when I take the car in, but in the meantime, why do you think the problem originates at the back and that a softer front is a Bad Idea?

Thanks for any pearlies.

If you take a superlight as a working example , as it all depends upon weight of engine , springs used , dampers , ride height , driving style etc . I found that with green bushed roll bar on front and stiffest settings on rear the car was very 'nosey ' and felt twitchy at the rear although understeer was dramatically reduced at medium / low speeds . I belive that a ballance must be found between the roll stiffness at both ends , to achieve this I would stiffen either end rather than soften to compensate . fine tuning can then be achieved via tire pressures .

Of course all this may be nonsense if the motor is as fitted to Mikes car ( or Mr Webb ) cos a slight adjustment to throttle angle is the simplist way of achieving your quest for ANY angle of oversteer .

Please let us all know what the results of your flat floor set up was . :-)

Edited by - Dave J on 7 Jul 2000 08:02:20

Thanks Dave. I'll let you know what settings I go for and how I find the car after Hyperion have done their spanners job. However, I don't have any trackdays booked for a few weeks so won't be able to give a detailed answer until then.