Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I have an alias or two.....

Wile7

I've been lurking on this forum for some time, but I am compelled to say I'm amazed by the number of people who seem to like hiding behind these alias names. I'm not afraid to use my own name! I suppose if you feel the urge to say something silly, it is better to use a false name. Or is it that people are worried about being stalked if they offend someone a bit unbalanced?

Never let it be said that we never let it be said

Edited by - Zane Determinant on 3 Jan 2007 21:35:53

*arrowup* *arrowup*GJT - I was just surprised to see a 'Wile' incarnation - most of the shedders don't spell it correctly anyway so why bother making other names up 🤔 *tongue* 😬

Dave Ardley. White Xflow with Clams

Don't point that beard at me, it might go off.

Groucho Marx

Updated photos here

I'm afraid if there's any lover boys around here they're going to be me *tongue* although i am of course all man. The rest of you are just pretending. If you want to sign up for some hints and tips on how to get the lovely ladies warm and comfortable i may be holding a seminar in the spring but places will be limited and applicants will be vetted as to potential *eek*

Edited by - Roger Ruffley-Upham on 4 Jan 2007 13:46:01

Seems you guys doubt the reality of my ancient family name.

I could at this point retail the family yarn which I was told by my wicked uncle Ted B. Determinant, when I was knee high and believed anything anyone told me with a straight enough face. According to Ted, the Determinant bloodline originally came to America shortly after the Founding Fathers. In fact, Ted said they were on the '5th ship', in the form of Tertius Guillaume Hugues de Terminante, a 23 year old nobleman who had undergone military training, and had spent time in Holland with some of the organisers of the Mayflower expedition.

Ted's version of events was that de Terminante was the sole survivor of some family catastrophe, who had seen the place where he was born destroyed, during the Wars of Religion. He said Tertius was a 'non-believer', which may indicate that the family had adopted a Huguenot belief system, unless they were actually atheists, or freethinkers.

He also told us that the young chevalier was following a girl he had fallen for, name of Constance Hopkins, who had crossed to America on the Mayflower the year before Tertius made the voyage.

Unfortunately Ted was a terrible merchant of misinformation, and I'm pretty certain this story was a deliberate attempt to get me interested in more than just family history. He certainly later tried to awaken my interest in all sorts of things which did later help prepare me for the world outside. I'm very greatful to the old rogue in retrospect, as he taught me to be aware of the possibility of trickery at all times.

I have to say here that I lost my parents in an aircrash when I was 4 years old, so Ted became a lead character in my little world, being my fathers older brother.

Later in life I did some checking. I discovered that there is no such place in France as Terminante. Ted had told me that the family estate had been totally destroyed, but normally a french noble family takes the name of a place which already exists, a village or town usually. I thought it might be possible that a small village, sacked during the wars of religion, might have completely dissappeared from modern maps since 1600. Ted's tales always had a good grounding in fact, which made them hard to disregard completely.

An example is the timing of the young chevalier's movements. The Wars of Religion ended in 1598, so the statement that he had "seen his home destroyed" during this war is hard to credit, as he was only 23 in 1621, the year he supposedly made the voyage to the New World. He would have been born the year the war ended! I suppose Ted may just have said his father had seen his home destroyed.

Later, I met someone who indicated that the name might well have originated in Spain!

By this time I was fairly sure that the Determinant family had actually emigrated to America in the late 19th century, from central Europe, possibly Serbia or Latvia, and had simply taken the name Determinant for unknown reasons.

It all remains unclear, as early genealogical records are missing. Not even the Mormons have been able to clear up the mystery.

Never let it be said that we never let it be said

Edited by - Zane Determinant on 4 Jan 2007 21:05:52