Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SEMSEC/Roadsport A

ge2

Looking to do my first race this year and being local to Brands and Lydden, the SEMSEC series looks ideal. My car is basically a Roadsport A with big brakes and because I'm intending to do a bit of everything this year I don't want to make any changes other than tyres and setup. Whilst I'm not expecting to be competitive just yet, I'm a bit worried about being lumped in with highly developed R500s and the like. Is there a series/class that would be good to have a play in? It doesn't matter to me if I'm only just keeping up with cars in the class below but I don't really want to be pottering about on my own getting lapped by the whole pack every 5 mins

I don't think SEMSEC have published the regs for 2007 yet but I assume it will be similar to last year. So there will be lots of classes and most races will have several classes on the grid. Subject to those regs, the important part will be your tyre choice; if you run slicks you will probably end up in a class that bundles you in with the quicker R400/R500/CSR's etc and the odd Radical. If you run road tyres e.g. CR500 or 048's then you will probably be in a class that bundles you in with slower stuff where you are more likely to be at the front. However is does depend on the classes and who turns up - e.g. if 20 Roadsport A's turn up then they will almost certainly get a race to themselves. If you're not fussed about slicks then go for the class with road tyres and you will save money too as you won't have to buy a set of wets to substitute for slicks when its a bit soggy !

Whatever you do, you will have fun !

I've raced with SEMSEC for the last four years so if there's anything I can help with, please shout..

regards

Nigel

hi ge2, have a look at the 750MC, they run 4 classes in their Caterham series, and although I've not raced with them I've spectated and had a bit of paddock chat - they seem a friendly bunch.

The 4 classes seem to run together (no doubt someone will be along in a moment to correct me!), so there will be someone to race whatever spec you've got - although 1600ss/ 6 speed/ lsd should be near the front of the field.

The classes are quite broad, the car to beat in each class seems to be:

class A - R400

class B - 1600SS

class C - 1600 K series 115bhp (academy)

class D - 1600 8 valvers - ford or vauxhall

the other alternative is the Graduates where your car would fit into the Megagrads.

Charles Elliott'sexcellent site will give you an overview.

Take a few races not expecting to be anywhere, and try to keep out of trouble, you'll soon get the hang of it. Also instruction will get you up the learning curve much quicker.

Bear in mind that although your car might not seem very powerful (!) as far as race cars goes 1600ss's are capable of very high lap speeds, and will be driven mainly by experienced and very committed racers - wherever you race you'll get plenty of advice and assistance in the paddock, and absolutely b*gger all as soon as you're out there on the track!

good luck!

Martin

Aero'd Roadsports B with a garage slowly filling up with upgrade parts

The 4 classes seem to run together (no doubt someone will be along in a moment to correct me!), so there will be someone to race whatever spec you've got

From what I've heard of 750 7s recently, it's all class A cars - a friend took a Mega-Grad out (not that different to a RSA) and was just "dived bombed", being lapped by very fast cars - not much fun.

There's also BARC SEC sports & saloons (and various other s&s series if you are willing to travel); keep a look out fot allcomers races such as MSVR organise. Or convert it to a Mega-Grad (and make a profit by selling off the unwanted parts...) - although I think it probably full this year.

• 4 weeks later...