Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series V8

Red SLR

They manage the KV6 with a single block... joining two existing ones is an entirely different proposition.

I will be looking at a KV6 soonish and have already made enquiries about availability of cams, valvegear and heads are not dissimilar to the VHPD, so there is scope for some tuning.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 18 Mar 2002 08:19:43

Ooooooooohhhhhh. Blatgirl had her eye on the Phantom coupe thingy at Stoneleigh last year. I poo pooed it 'cos I know nothing about the V6 Rover/Honda engine. I'd appreciate it if you could keep me updated please Mr Oily (like you haven't done enough for me already)........Ta muchly.

Is there any benifit in power on V8 engines done like this?

Power is generated by the head's ability to flow air. 2 heads means twice as much flow. Each half would be doing the same as normal, so would not be aware that it was attached to a V8 crankcase rather than the normal block. You would get double the power...

... but it doesn't take a genius to work out that the packaging would cause issues. In fact the only k-series bit you would carry over would be the heads... and there are better heads to begin with... and how would you package the inlets and exhausts. Would you reverse one head so you could get all the inlets in the middle and the exhausts down each side? You would have to get a double drive belt solution for the cams. You would then have to drive that head's cams from the wrong end and backwards, which would mean that one bank would be firing 1342 and the other bank would be firing 1243. You might get cams made up to change the firing sequence - I don't know the correct sequence for flat plane V8s. You would have to get all of the crankcase shenanigans arranged for the k-series bore spacing.

All told, it is more than a trivial "I think I'll knock one up this lunchtime" sort of effort.

The benefit for power is that you would probably have the heads gasflowed and cammed to the desperate degree that 4 cylinder configurations demand, so the specific output would be impressive for a V8. Normally V8s don't bother being highly tuned.

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 18 Mar 2002 15:10:20

What is a V8 other than two 4 cylinders grafted together, in the early days straight eights were all the rage until RPM started to rise and the cranks wound themselves up, the V8 was a neat way of packaging the same capacity in a shorter footprint while sitffening up the crankshaft. In hose days of course they were side valves so induction and exhaust lived on the outside of each bank with a space for you picnic hamper between the two banks of cylinders.

The DFV used machined wheels for the cam drive to get around the problem of belt-whip and stretch.

Oily