Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

6 speed box - oil problem

sjmmarsh

I initially had a hell of a job loosening the level plug in my six speed,but it finally budged after the car was run for a short time to warm the casing. b.t.w the fill plug on mine is definately on the drivers side and has a standard british pipe thread,i.e a.c.w to slacken. The passenger side is the drain plug. as already suggested search the archives redline m.t.l will make the box more user friendly!! all i.m.h.o of course 😬 😬

Good luck.

John. *cool*

Gridgway

The filler hole is definitely on the (UK) driver's side. The thread is a 'pipe thread' so it is tapered and gets tighter as it is fastened. I will try heating the gearbox tomorrow to see if this helps. Unfortunately the 'extension arm' I am using over the allen key is about 18" long but there isn't enough clearance under the car to use it as the allen key goes in on the vertical. I am reluctant to cut it down as it is also the handle for one of my jacks!

Quite a few of the maintenance items seemed over torqued (I have had problems with the Apollo sump and sump plug as well) but it may be that they just tightened up over time due to water/salt getting in?

Happy new year

Steve

hope you get it sorted Steve. Warmth mau help. At least my memory of the taper was correct. How bizaare that I have been checking gbox oil level all these years and cant remember which side it is!

I use a cut down alan key and a halfrauds 10mm (I think) ratchet spanner. It hasn't broken yet! Not man enough for what you need though.

Graham

Today's update - and it is good news! *smile*

I made another cut down allen key, this time using one of my good ones, not the cheaper set. I also cut down the steel tube I used as a lever over the long arm of the allen key to 39cm, which gives just enough clearance under the car to allow it to move through the vertical.

I then stuck a 3kw fan heater under the car blowing vertically at the filler plug. I then went away for 30mins to do something else. On returning the gearbox was warm to the touch, but not hot. I put the allen key in, complete with the lever and pushed. It moved! After that it was easy to get the plug out and refill with oil - it took about 100ml, so wasn't too bad.

Hints for others with the same problem.

1. Use heat to loosen the grip on the plug. A fan heater is better than a flame, but it takes a while to warm the gearbox as the engine acts as a huge heatsink. Trying it after a blat may also work.

2. Once you have cut the allen key down to size, make a mark on the shaft so you can tell when the key is fully home in the plug. With a lever on it, it is not easy to tell whether the key is fully in or not. Mine wasn't and I have mullered the upper part of the hex socket as a result.

3. Use a good quality allen key - the cheaper ones are too soft.

4. Use a dremel with a cut-off wheel to cut the allen key down. It is much easier than a hacksaw!

5. Put the top-up oil under the car while you are warming the gearbox - it makes it flow easier.

Steve

Post-script:

With everything back in place and torques checked, I went out for a blat..... or rather I didn't as the car would still not go into gear with the engine running. I then checked the clutch as the other suspect. It looked fine, but closer inspection showed that although the two adjusting nuts were locked together, they would spin round on the thread, so the problem turned out to be clutch drag rather than gearbox oil. Doh! Still, I needed to check the gearbox oil as part of my service anyway, so no harm done - and the weather has been pretty wet since Xmas day anyway.

Happy New Year to you all!