Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sick Engine

Davey Bee

Dave

First thing to list is what can you keep from your existing engine that will be suitable for 240bhp.

Don,t be led into buying things that aren't necessary.

Minimum you require will be

Pistons to up compression to approx 11:1

Cams to suit (Qed 450 cams will give up to 250bhp although there are other cams that will suit the above are first to mind.)

Steel rods (for safety as much as anything.)

gas flowed head (use std size valves although waisted stem.)

double valve springs and solid tappets would also be advisable.

What management system do you have?

if its the Mbe 912 series then you could just get the later ecu pre 941 series which is plug compatible and fuel /ign mappable,this ecu however has been superceded so is now getting difficult to find.

Dta system is going to cost 845+vat for ecu/loom, john noble can map dta .

The main objective of the rebuild though should be to cure the excessive oil consumption.

The steel oil pump gears and a std vx prv provide adequate oil pressure even on a tuned engine

Good luck

Dave

And just to contradict Dave I'll add my comments:

Minimum you require will be

Pistons to up compression to approx 11:1 - 11.8:1 is achievable with std pistons and a lightly skimmed head.

Cams to suit (Qed 450 cams will give up to 250bhp although there are other cams that will suit the above are first to mind.) - Swindon p02/p11 are the best combination

Steel rods (for safety as much as anything.) - Agreed - get the lightest you can.

gas flowed head (use std size valves although waisted stem.) - No need to waist stems.

Double valve springs and solid tappets would also be advisable. - Convert the hydraulic tappets with shims - this will be fine to 8500rpm. Double springs are pretty essential as are titanium spring retainers/

What management system do you have?

if its the Mbe 912 series then you could just get the later ecu pre 941 series which is plug compatible and fuel /ign mappable,this ecu however has been superceded so is now getting difficult to find. You can get a conversion cable for 912 to 941/967 from GWR Motorsport. If you ring Jerry at MBE and grovel, he'll sell you a 956 which is the plug compatible ECU for the older 912.

Dta system is going to cost 845+vat for ecu/loom, john noble can map dta .

The main objective of the rebuild though should be to cure the excessive oil consumption.

The steel oil pump gears and a std vx prv provide adequate oil pressure even on a tuned engine

Whats a std "prv" Dave?

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Aves - the prv I used was a Swindon one (orange plastic, don't know if it is the same as the SBD one).

Arnie - Arrow rods are nice but who ever used them in a Touring Car? They are still probably the best available to fit a Std crank.

I thought Swindon used Arrow rods as well. I bought a set direct from Arrows and they certainly looked the part. They did give a small discount for our bulk buy of 3 sets.

Arnie, I'm still wondering if I have the right big end bearings..... Mine were the dull ones, not the shiny ones and were a GM part. Does that mean anything?

Alex

ALex,

Dull is good. You have the corretc bearings. The shiny ones are OK for the mains.

Do you know if you ahve the narrow or wide version?? (not a failure issue though)

You would know by now if you had the wrong material type bearings. A few dips into 8000rpm+ territory and the signs will become evident - a few dips beyond 8500 and it'll start rattling!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - fat arnie on 1 Apr 2002 18:07:59