Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Brake pads?

F355GTS

I have a 1996 Supersport with widetrack and uprated brakes. Front calipers are 4 pot with Caterham badge, rears are claw type single piston

Can anybody guide me as to the best pads to use for primarily trackday but some road use also best source or same

Also any part numbers would be useful

thanks

A search will find various opinions ranging from EBC GreenStuff (not too great if you are a really quick track driver) to Mintex 1144/1155, then on to RedStuff (much better) to Hawk Carbon metallic (or something) which are V good, but a tad pricey IIRC. Have a search, and see what floats your boatsmile.gif

Can you still buy direct from Mintex? Last time I tried (August 2001) the guy on the phone said "Can't do that guv, it would upset our resellers!!". Previously I got the good discount (trade price?) you mentioned.

Steve.

With big brakes everywhere and ACB10s on a 1.6 Superlight and using the standard Mintex 1136 I never had brake problems on a circuit. Small front brakes and a Vauxhall caused 'glazing', replacing with 1144 meant they were a bit crap when cold.

I'm a little sceptical that you need anything special, especially with the large fronts and a K series. OTOH it is possible to get the fluid well hot......

Paul

1400k RoadSport (130 bhp) with same brakes i.e. 4 pot front standrd drum at rear.

I recently installed mintex 1144 and have absoluteny no reason to change. Were excellent at a fast day at goodwood earlier in the year. When I first installed them and on a wet day the fronts were locking up far too quick, so be carefull when first installing. Since then they are very progressing and stop excellently

Sean

The original 1400 K Series Roadsport Prototype

My Caterham Website

I've just fitted 1144's and from my very short experience of them they felt like a vast improvement over the standard pads, dont know if's a combination of new bushes and stiffer springs also, but I didn't have too much time to test them as my head gasket blew shortly after setting out... sad.gif

Best pads that i have ever used - and i have tried many, 1144, 1155, 1166, 1177, Carbon Metallic, DS2000, DS2500, DS3000 - are without question the Pagid RS14-B. They are available from Caterham Parts for all types of caliper. The Pagid's have excellent feel, fade performance and wear - and do not machine the discs away like a carbon metallic or DS3000.

I have used them for the past three seasons and still have half of the front pad left and the rears are hardly touched.

They are expensive 'though ~ £100 per axle set - but money well spent.

However they are probably not so good for Hillclimb/Sprint as they take about 1/2 a lap to warm up.

Chris Porritt

CLP

For those of you who want Pagis RS14s Granf Prix racewear are significantly cheaper than Caterham. GPR are quoting 120 quid for a set of fronts, they're about 170 from Caterham. I've got them on mine and they're great.

Biggest problem is the max power plonkers behind you that keep wanting to run in the back of you.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying smile.gif

Roland, Red Stuff is a prodcut name for an intermediate track/race compound of pads made by EBC.

I have yet to wear out any pads on my car in 25,000 miles of hard driving.

Green stuff gets bad press as it wears very quickly if overheated. Godd idea to have seval compounds of pad material though for thoose "cold brake" events like Curborough....

Not that I've entered you'll understand.......

Fat Arn

Visit the HPC site (Humiliate Peter Carmichael)id=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>