Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Top Wishbones

c7trp

• Support Team

Think I've asked this before, but can't find it. *confused*

The ball joint is seized in the top wishbone. Something is going to break/bend if we put much more load on the ball joint whilst trying to un-screw it.

Assume best solution is new top wb's and make sure the new ball joint is copper slipped before assembly?

Looks like an easy job, after the front spring is removed. Does anyone know of any other gotchas?

Are there any other sources for wishbones, or is it back to CC?

Looks like I've got a Christmas holiday project. *smile*

Cheers

Tim

If you really cannot seaparate them then new wishbones may have to be considered. You should however really not need to. Some serious heat on the ball joint and hefty clouting with a big persuader should do the trick.

I would be wary of copperslipping the reassembly though as the tapered joint is supposed to be a tight friction fit and with copper slip you'll never get the nut to torque up

David

1989 1700XF SS clams with carbon

webshots here

I had the same problem which was solved by using pleanty of heat (as the threads corrode in the wishbones) and significant torque to the extent of damaging the rod ends. I subsequently had to run a tap through the thread in the wishbones to clean them up.

Cheers

NigelJ

• Support Team

Thanks All.

Just been out for another swing on it.

I've split be ball joint with the hub upright.

I've got a pair of 18" shifters on the flat of the ball joint thread, and a 3 foot tube slid over the handle.

With 2 of us swinging on it we've managed to bend the ball joint, but it still doesn't move.

I was being a tart and avoiding heat as then I'll need to repaint the wishbone *tongue*

I am also worried about damaging the threads in the wishbones as re-tapping them could actually reduce the thread significantly, reducing its capacity.

I assume the strength of the thread holding the ball joint is safety critical, and a damaged thread could be dangerous, under heavy cornering loads *eek*

Looking like new one from CC ☹️

Tim,

Been there done that a few weeks ago. Ended up with a new wishbones/balljoint assembly from CC. Cost about £70. Not as much as I had feared.

Definitely use plenty of copperslip on the new one. I managed to bend the front wb leg. Must admit that I didn't try lots of heat for the same reason as you.

The problem is that the thread is fine and the ball joint part goes quite a way into the wb so giving plenty of area for the corrosion to hold it all together.

No need to remove the damper by the way. Just split the ball joint form the upright, as you've already done, and the undo the front and rear wb bolts. IIRC Ihad to remove the anti-roll bar to make some room to get to the front bolt.

You WILL need to support the upright of course.

Steve.

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear