Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lightening the flywheel on a 1.8 Supersport

S33VEN

Does anyone have any experience of lightening the flywheel on a 1.8 Supersport. Obviously it doesn't increase the power output of the engine, but will increase the power available to drive the car during accelleration, particularly in the low gears. I did it on a Mini in the sixties and the improvement was astounding. I suspect the 1.8 flywheel is pretty light already?

Tony Stattersfield

The standard flywheel isn't particularly light. Lightweight steel flywheels are available from Caterham, QED, Minister etc. Farndon are selling some for 60 quid each in Motoring News this week - don't know what's wrong with them!

Personally I don't like the idea of lightening the stock flyhweel significantly, owing to the fact that I like my feet attached the way they are :-)

Mike

Like Mike, I would take a lot of care with lightened flywheels. With less "meat" on them they must be VERY carefully balanced. I once marshalled at Castle Coombe when a mini pulled over for no real reason.No contact so we thought electrical failure etc but we rushed with fire extinguishers in case. It turned out that the flywheel had been lightened but not well balanced. The result was a driver with bits of flywheel in his groin;he died later of septicaemia (blood poisoning).I know a mini's f/wheel is "in-line" but you get the picture!