Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spare Slung Low

Harry Flatters

My 94 De dion was originally shod with 16" HPC's and the spare sat neatly on the carrier with the hole in the centre dead in line with the hole in the back panel.

Now I have move to 13" Superlites with 032R's the spare sits a bit lower that the 16" and consequently the centre of the wheel is lower than the hole in back panel. If I secure the the spare wheel with the "T" bolt it s going to be suspended in mid-air!

Has anyone else come across this and what did you do to overcome the problem?

Help!!

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Hi Steve,

Had the same problem when I went from 70 to 60 profiles on my 13" - but not the the same extent. I used some thick pipe lagging foam around the spare wheel carrier and then added a 'tie-down' strap around it all to hold it tight. Some rollbar stuff might be thicker/dense and suit.

Of course, this might be too much of a gap to fill in your case... I ended up cutting off the carrier and junking the spare to save weight.

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running wink.gif

Steve - I have seen people bend the carrier upwards by imitating a worlds strongest man competition, ie garb hold of the carrier, with it attched to the car and lift (remember to bend those knees) which seems to have the desired effect teeth.gif

rob

Try a long bolt through one of the wheel nut holes.

I have two sets of 13" rims with 32Rs or ACB10's, the tyres have different profiles. I have to use different methods to fix the spare wheel on the carrier and also some foam around it.

Ditto the above advice.

If the initial pipe lagging type mod doesn't work completely it is very easy (too easy) to simply bend the support 'U' hoop up. Remove wheel first and try it. Really works. How do I know? Err, well, having been to Le Mans with everything including the kitchen sink on a Caterham rack the hoop had 'dropped' a bit. Now sorted and must have taken 10 secs!!! Suzi Seven. You must not pack so much!!(ooh err)