Click here if you are having website access problems ×

cut out

se7enmad

Quick question (3),

My cut out switch is not attached in the recommended position, but within the engine bay (don't ask ☹️). For instant access to marshals the key is attached to a short length of cord which is routed to the exterior in a way such that it does not foul anything. The cord location is made obvious by a sticker and the kill switch will cut off when the cord is pulled.

(sorry if the description is a bit basic ☹️). IIRC this is on the driver's side.

Is this set up acceptable or will I need to reroute this to the usual location 🤔

Antonella *smile*

1998 Caterham Vx 1.6

it works fine. I tried to fault because I did'nt like it fitted the way it is, but however much I tried to find fault, it always worked ok.

This lack of rules in the regulations is getting me a little confused. 😬 I am used to having R+R's that were never ending and were very restricted.

I have'nt got used to this sort of open attitude, so please forgive the questions.

Antonella *smile*

1998 Caterham Vx 1.6

Antonella

Whilst our regs for the championship are quite open cars still need to abide by the general regs set out in the MSA Blue Book which is quite specific, there is a whole section on Sprint/Hillclimb cars but nothing is ever as bad as it reads. The Master Switch or Cut Out as you call it can be the ignition key as long as it is marked on the dashboard with which way is off 😬 😬.

Don't get too worried about the regs, the important bit the scrutineers will look for are:

*arrowright*Everything is tight, no loose bolts

*arrowright*Cut Off switch clearly marked (they sometimes check it but very rarely)

*arrowright*Double return Throttle springs

*arrowright*Catch Tank if appropriate (no need on a K)

*arrowright*Yellow tape on your earth lead to battery

*arrowright*Harnesses in Good Order

*arrowright*Suit & Helmet to the right spec

Don't worry too much and don't get bogged down by the regs, just have fun 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

Graham

*smile*Lotus 7 Club General Secretary *smile*

Graham,

Thanks for the reply.

I did'nt understand the bit about the master being the ignition 🤔

I know the ignition can be placed on the dash for easy access and also when non standard electrics used, but it does'nt replace the need for a master switch as the ignition does not cut off all power to the electrical system as the latter does.

I have a catch tank ( a plastic 1 lt bottle)... need to check if plastic ok.

Double return springs ok

Everything checked and tight (not a prob as I check that regularly)

Need to stick some yellow tape on earth and that's it.

However I would'nt mind reading latest Blue Book. Is there an online version or do I need to get it from the MSA?

Antonella *smile*

1998 Caterham Vx 1.6