Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

prop bolts to diff?

Nic Day

I am changing my diff to a LSD (donunts here I come!) So need to take out the carrier and get Phil from R&R to wave his magic hands on it.

Then I will need to re fit it. I seem to remember I read somewhere on here that I will need new prob bolts?? Am I right with this memory or just mad on a monday morning??

Also anything else I will need to change / replace when changing the diff???

Cheers

Nic

Winner of the Largest pair in a non SV 7 (Rumble 2003) here

Nic

the usual advice was to replace these bolts with new ones as they were 'blue' i.e covered in a thread lock compound which was one use only . The new bolts supplied by caterham are socket head and do not have and thread lock on them so some should be added.

There is no reason why you can't re-use the blue origonal bolts with added thread lock, but for pease of mind use new ones

Only buy them from caterham or any ford garage as they are high tensile bolts

Simon

IIRC, the old ones were 8.8 and the new 12.9 (HT bolts). If this is correct, and it may well be testicles, the old ones should be OK to reuse with new thread lock as Simon says. The new type should be replaced though(assuming they were torqued up fully).

Best to use 12.9s any how as they are much stronger.

12.9s of the correct length can be purchased many places other than Caterham/Ford. If you get them from a bolt supplier, you can get cap head drilled bolts that can be lock-wired. Caterham prices are reasonable though so maybe it's not worth the bother of sourcing them elsewhere.

BTW - Make sure you center the diff properly in the chassis when refitting.

Could be a lifesaver as the build manual clearly states that nothing should be put on these bolts...this refers to when the bolts were blue and hasn't been changed since the supplied bolts were changed. I checked with Simon Lambert today as I have not used locktite on my build and he confirmed that this is now necessary and that they will amend the build manual as a priority.

In the meantime I will be jacking up again to locktite my bolts (always fiddly to get torqued up but should be easier now with engine in) *thumbup*

I agree it is better to renew them but I found the cap head bolts to be a right royal pain as I was unacle to get a hex socket on them. I wound up putting the old ones back in with Locktite - no problems since doing this. It like the big nuts on the half shafts. These are supposed to be a one time use as well but I dont know many that have bothered. Providing that there have not been on and off 6 or 7 times I would not worry overly.

I would go to my local bolt supplier and buy new hex heads if I were that worried.

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

www.obns.co.uk

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

Dave not sure what time but I am guessing late AM / early PM ( i might have a bit of a hang over due to my company xmas party on Friday night!!!!)

As for Bens do - not sure, I am waiting to find out if my mum can baby sit and then go from there. I think we should all aim to be there at the same time.

Winner of the Largest pair in a non SV 7 (Rumble 2003) here