Click here if you are having website access problems ×

supersport upgrade

stokester

Hi

built a 1.6 roadsport last year and went for the 6 speed box over the supersport engine as I couldn't afford both at the time. now I want the supersport engine!! anyone got any suggestions...it's about £1000 and I can do it myself or get Nobles to do it for me (resale value etc) but what is really involved and is it worth the extra 20 odd bhp?

Personally, I feel that the Supersport kit is good value if you want something easy and won't be after further upgrades. If you will want more in the future it might be worth using the Supersport cams, but fitting a mappable ECU that can be remapped later for any future mods.

This is a less easy route because you will need to map the ECU to suit the engine, or find a map that already exists, but it is much cheaper in the long run because you don't end up buying two ECUs.

If you've got an EU3 engine, it will be difficult at present to fit an aftermarket ECU, but this should change later in the year.

There are a number of profiles that are better than the supersport ones which are available from Piper (who supply Minister I believe), if you are interested drop me a mail directly, I can get a *substantial* discount and am happy to pass this along. The Emerald ECU is the one of choice and I have over 100 maps for K series engines in various states of tune, I'm sure one foir an otherwise std 1.6 with 270 cams will be available in there.

There is a wealth of tuning information on the K series from mild to wild including all the Piper cam specs here.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 15 Mar 2002 15:00:29

Oily is quite right of course.......on the other hand, and it must be common knowledge by now......I have a Supersport ECU and cams that'll cost you a fraction of what you might otherwise spend. (unless you have an EU3 engine in which case the ECU won't fit).

They only did 7000 miles before I took them off/out to upgrade the engine.

Ken

Edited by - KenEvans on 15 Mar 2002 15:45:44

Andrew

I don't know if it is of interest but I have an EU3 SuperSport engine and I am shortly to upgrade it and will have the complete SuperSport kit available. My car has done 500 miles and my plan was always to get through SVA and then upgrade quite soon for the spring.

How long can you wait, are you interested ?

I was asking the same question the other day, Just a note, check youre engine, if its EU3 the connector (according to fred who I believe implicitly wink.gif) to the loom is different to that on the other engine. - watch it if youre buying 2nd hand.

Count I'd possibly be intrested in youre bits (oo err).

Edited by - Buda on 15 Mar 2002 16:26:31

Thanks for all the info...and offers!! Mine is an EU3 and I suppose it comes down to how far I want to go! the oily suggestion does seem a good option for extra BHP. The cautious side of me says stick to the caterham option for resale value...then it's not my intenstion to sell in the near future. I'm also getting some suggestions from John Noble Motorsport as they are just down the road from me and have been excellent with any problems I've had so far. I'll see what comes from there?!

Anyone have an opinion on DIY verses professional upgrade. It's an easy mod but again the history of a car can be important down the line both on insurance and resale.

A

On this topic I have recently completed a 1.6K roadsport and have also been exploring the upgrade options (Caterham vs bespoke). Just happened to drop into the factory today to ask their opinion to which they replied they can no longer supply the supersport upgrade since Rover stopped supplying the ECU's. They are working on a programable ECU (possibly from the R500) as an alternative - available late summer or thereabouts.

If this comes to pass its an appealing option since it does appear to be a good starting point on the upgrade path and the ECU being programmable can be kept if you wish to go futher. If (?) the price remains similar to the current £1000 it will be good value

Has anybody else heard about this ?

Just a small comment to say that I went to Wales over the weekend in my 5 speed Supersport and my friend was in a standard K series but with a 6 speed box. I have to say that in terms of performance they seemed equally matched, on papers there is only half a second between them for the 0-60 anyway.

Or perhaps it was because of my crap drivingeek.gif

At last I own one teeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gif

Edited by - anthony micallef on 21 Mar 2002 14:00:22

that sounds about right...the six speed box is supposed to add about half a second to a normal k series 0-60...or so they say!!! the price of the 6 speed with the kit was £1600...the upgrade to a six speed is a shed load more...about £2600. the supersport enging is always £1000 in the kit or the upgrade. I've got it booked in anyway! should be a good fun investment!