Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rear Shocker Gone

c7trp

• Support Team

Seem to have somehow 'burst' one of the rear shocker on my 1.8 road sport. 😳

The car has done 40k miles, and there is some play in the wheel bearings also.

Is it time for a full overhaul of the rear suspension? Whilst its all in bits, should I change the bushes or any other bits?

Front suspension and bearings seem ok, although the rubber gaiters on the top ball joints are getting worn/split.

Should I take the front to bits too?

Cheers

Tim

That's a coincidence - I had my car into CML last week for some work and to have it flat floored. While they were adjusting the platforms one of my rear dampers burst. They said that it happens sometimes. I think it was the rear right - my car has done 31k in 5 years.

Unfortunately they didn't have one in stock, so I couldn't pick it up today 🙆🏻 and I don't know when I will be able to get back there again now...

Don't forget to replace dampers in pairs - otherwise it can affect the handling.

Steve

Tim

I had just changed the droplinks on the ARB as they were worn and squeaking. CML also recommend I change the rear disks as they are badly scored. I had also just cleaned and touched up the ARB and chassis rails etc with POR-15 ahead of the winter.

I think a full stripdown is worth doing - plus the fronts given your gaiters are perished. Warning: the front upper wishbone balljoint is likely to be seized in the bone, so you will need to replace the whole unit - so it may be better to wait until it is definitely a problem to save some expense.

Steve