Click here if you are having website access problems ×

- Split rim 5 spoke Superlight R / R500 mags

Ben Long

Kiwi - I am willing to pay whatever is reasonable, although these wheels seem to be as rare as rocking horse s**t!! I am due to take delivery of my new Superlight early May which comes standard with 13" minilites. The mags are not a critical item for the car - purely cosmetic - but they look superb, especially the 5 spokes.

Thanks for the responses. Does anyone have the number for Mike Barnby?? Arnie?

Ideally I'd like some of the older 5 spoke mags as fitted to the early R500's and older Superlight R's. Did Mike supply these to Caterham?? He may still be able to knock a set out.

I don't believe Mike did the 5 spokers. I also don't believe they're magnesium.

Mail me tomorrow if you don't get a response on here.

Note that Caterham can get very upset if you go posting their suppliers numbers on the web, usually with the supplier themselves...

The SLR wheels were problematic as the bolt spacing was too wide. It was not uncommon for them to lose pressure, hence the move to the Barnby wheels.

Ben, You should be able to get an upgrade price of around £500 if you spec your SL with the R500 wheels. I know Count got this when we ordered his car. Would suggest you speak to Andy Noble - I'm sure he'll thank me for telling you this!!!!

Also check your email for some other intersting info unsuitable for a public forum.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Apologies to Caterham Cars. I was not trying to undercut them by going direct to the manufacturer, but merely trying to get hold of some of the 5 spokes which Caterham can no longer supply.

Caterham have been extremely helpful in sorting out my new Superlight which will hopefully arrive early May - thanks especially to Jason and Jean.

Ultimately a set of second hand set of wheels would be fine if I ever find any!!

I'll stick with 13" Minilites for now. Should anyone wish to sell their 5 spokes, please get in touch.

Many thanks,

Ben

Ben,

I bought the last set of new SLR 5 spoke wheels available in the UK.

Some points to note:

They were made by KN and assembled by Image. Image welded the two part rims together using a jig.

Although KN have replacement rims on the shelf still, only Image could weld them. Image have since destroyed their jig and will not weld a pair of rims for anyone now.

Effectively these wheels are a 2 piece item and the main problem is that the rims can buckle easily, once this happens you will not get a replacement new.

Arnies right, they stopped using these wheels because of tyre deflation and buckling problems.

I'd advise you to go for the Mike Barnby option.

Hope this helps!

Mike C

K9 JPE

Ben - upgrading to R500 wheels with the kit and buying 2nd hand 13" Miantor/Minilite/Superlite style wheels will be cheaper in the long run and more likely to happen (i.e. 13" Minators do come up for sale fairly often).

Go on, be a devil.