Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

which diff ratio

david nelson

• Area Representative

David,

The theory goes, that a lower diff ratio will give better acceleration, and the maths looks to agree with this.

With a change of ratio from 3.62 to 3.92, The force that appears at the wheels at any given revs in a given gear, will be some 8% better! (but at an 8% lower speed)

However, I changed from a 3.62 to a 3.92 at the beginning of this year, and I'm not so sure its any better!

For example, where at Curborough, I would have stayed in second from "Mole hill" to "Fradley", I now have to take third, and then back down to second, then along the straight, I'm up into fourth before braking for "Flag pole", where previously I would have only got to third. Previously, I would have stayed in second from "Flag pole" to "Mole Hill", but now I need to take third, and back down to second.

I think that what I've gained in acceleration, I've lost again in additional gear changes. I've certainly not approached "Fradley" with the same confidence I had before, knowing that I've got a down change whilst braking heavily that may unsettle the car.

So, I'm still undecided.

May be I just need to try a little harder at Curborough *smile*

I have made the same change as Richard, and it certainly makes a difference, but as to quicker , I think that will depend on the course. If there is a really tight course, and a number of sprint courses have hairpins around a single bollard, then the lower ratio in second gear is a hugh bonus. But as Richard says there is the potential for more grear changes, sometimes, when you really could do with out it. Suppose that would be why race cars/ bikes change ratios to suit the individual track 😬

you use lower diffs when either the track is very short and twisty or you do not have sufficient power and you need the acceleration - always at the expense of top speed. The gear changes are not usually a problem, unless the track has a combination of twisty bits and long straights, as you just ignore first and possibly second.

I think you need to look at high gears, but you really need to determine if you have a problem first.

Antonella *smile*

1998 Caterham Vx 1.6

richard

were the other conditions close enough to make your times comparable?

i changed my diff. to lower ratios, but also made some other changes so the quicker times may be the result of other factors *confused*

david

trouble is you can't easily change them to run back-to-back comparisons, but purely for sprint times in UK i think you'd be better off with the lower ratio diff

jerry

Dave

you should be aiming to carry enough speed aroudn the molehill to stay in 3rd with a 3.92 diff
Is that with a 5spd or 6spd box?

I'll give it a go next year - I am still changing down to 2nd just after turning right before molehill (6spd). It would save me a couple of gear changes (i.e. chances to muck it up).

Steve

• Area Representative
you should be aiming to carry enough speed aroudn the molehill to stay in 3rd with a 3.92 diff ( unless you are on wood tyres)

Yes, list 1a wooden tyres!

I remember PowderPuff say "don't brake untill after the kerb on the right hand side before mole hill". That worked well for me untill I managed to carry more speed around "Woodside". I did keep trying to brake that late but kept ending up on the grass! I guess thats why class 3 time are quicker than class 2 times!

David,

IMO a 3.62 diff is too tall for a low powered car with circa 120lb ft torque . A 3.92 will be quicker especially if you are forced to use 21/22" diameter radial tyres. Its no big expense to try a 3.92 and swap back if your not happy. The 3.62 was only really suitable for superlites equipped with 20" Diameter ACB10`s.

Rob

Edited by - Rob Walker on 9 Dec 2006 20:40:39