Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Race suit help needed

Robster

Hi All

Can you let me know what sort of race suit I need for the sprint's..the 3 layer nomex one's are vv expensive and likely to be very hot to wear! Can I use a single layer on/Kart suit?? or is it like the helmets, you need the FIA sticker?

• Support Team

You can get a Proban suit for less than £100 - just make sure it has the right approval on it. Kart suits are not suitable as they are not fire retardant.

Here is an example of a suitable suit from GPR at £100.

From the blue book the allowable standards are:

BS6429 part 1 index A or B but not C

BSEN533

pr EN533:1995 Index 3

FIA 8856-2000

FIA 1986 Standard

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Area Representative

Robster,

I've now bought and sold several nomex suits on EBAY. If you can find what size you need, you should be able to pick up a decent suit for £60-£90.

I've paid about £80 for each of the suits I've bought, and sold one of them for £130 😬

• Area Representative

I'd always go for a Nomex suit rather than Proban.

The fire resisting properties of Nomex is the material its self, but Proban is a treatment to cotton, and can be washed out!

The fit is quite is also quite important. You must be comfortable in the car, and your movement must not be restricted. Most Nomex overalls have floating sleeves, where the sleeve is joined to the main body by a stretchy knitted section. This helps to give good movement without being too baggy. a set of second hand overalls will allways retain a good proportion of their value on EBAY, but Proban overalls rarely retain much at all.

As I said earlier, second hand overalls can be very cost effective.

Look here and

here

Watch these and see waht they sell for

here or

here

• 1 month later...

Richard

Thanks for the advice. *thumbup*Been watching and waiting (and gasping at people paying full price for second hand stuff) just bought nomex suit for £45.

Just the helmet to get now.

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

I would strongly agree with Graham on buying a new helmet. Used helmets may look undamaged after an accident but may be. If you don't know the exact history there is a real risk there.

You only have one head - protect it well!

Brian

(with my Clerk of the Course hat on!)