Click here if you are having website access problems ×

So who's thinking of having a go this year.........

Martin S.

I'm gonna have a go. Never sprinted or raced before so at least none of you have to worry about picking up the wooden spoon!!

I think that I qualify for Class 5 - I am running an R500 engine on Avon CR500 tyres.

I do have one question though - my fronts are 175/55 R13 the rears are 205/55 R13.

I have been reading some of the threads and people are running much larger front wheels / tyres - does this make the steering very heavy or does it provide a real advantage?

See you all on the starting line....

Cheers....Terry.

TerryH

Edited by - TerryHoll on 6 Dec 2006 23:00:40

Terry

Your CR500s will be fine

I think you will find that most sprinters will be using very similar sizes, in fact the maximum size allowed is 215 width.

Will you be starting at Longcross, it is a baptism of fire but nice and local to you *thumbup*

Martin

Me hopefully.

Class 1 as far as I can tell

Not sure how many I'll get to but determined to get to some.

Any chance of another intro to sprinting day for the newbies before the season starts. the one at Curborough was excellent.

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

Baconbutty

Spooky, I'm also in Solihull (Hillfield). Thanks for the offer of advice, I must say that everyone on the forum has been most helpful so far.

I suspect what I (and some fellow newbies)would find useful before the first sprint next year is a chance to have the car looked over by a scrutineer. I'd be gutted to get to the first one to be turned away at scrutineering.

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

Neil

Don't worry too much about scrutineering!

As long as all is secure..not too much play in the steering/ joints...you have taped up the -ve battery lead with yellow tape to identify it, have a sticker indicating on/off for the ignition, have head restraint if you have tillets/ foam seat and a catch tank if the breather pipe doesn't feed into the throttle body etc you'll be fine! Helmet date/ standard is now important as well as overalls that conform!

On the day, we'll all help/ muck in to make sure the car gets through! To be honest, scrutineering is really a check that the car is in a safe condition to race. Scrutineers aren 't there to make life difficult I've found! they're normally very helpful!!

Dannyboy *tongue*

Neil

Danny is absolutely right, scrutineering is a safety check and whilst it is important you should not worry too much about it, happy to look at your car before your first event to give you guidance (I've been sprinting & hillclimbing for nearly 8 years so and have never had a car refused, the odd minor adjustment maybe 😬 😬)

I'm in Dickens Heath so not a million miles away, probably about 3, feel free to contact me offline if you wish, proper email email address in my profile above

Graham

*smile*Lotus 7 Club General Secretary *smile*

Excellent stuff Dave glad the springs/dampers are OK *smile*, seems like quite a few going into class 1......good luck with it *thumbup*

Curborough is still my favorite, maybe because I did my first sprint there, tis good venue for spectating as well. Make sure you come and say hello, I'll be the one with the aging Hymer 😳

John

Small world, (2 other caterhams so close and I didn't know) I won't ask exactly where for privacy reasons but if you want to contact me off line perhaps we can meet up, as I said to Neil my proper email address in in my profile at the top of this message *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Graham

*smile*Lotus 7 Club General Secretary *smile*

Vtec & Neil

theres a lotus 7 club meeting not far from you this wednesday evening, its located between Redditch & Bromsgrove, ( worcester area ) see the web site or Low Flying for details.

As for sprinting my only advice would be to take the jack out the boot before sprinting ! 😳 *tongue* 😳

I,m thinkink of having a go this year but am not sure which class i,ll be in.The car is a 1.8 VVC engine running on THB,s putting out around 210bhp.Also been thinking about wheels and tyres,6 x13,s all round on OA32,s but would like to go wider and not sure by how much.Any advice would be most welcome.