Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ali Radiator?

Paul Bowden

I have finaly ordered my SL from Caterham, one thing I have not ordered at present, but as there is a 3 months+ wait I still have time to tinker, is an Ali Radiator. Is this a worthwhile upgrade, as ever I am after the Pros and Cons.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks,

Hopefully I will get the Ali Rad with my Kit. I have gone for a super "SuperLight". Carbon Wind deflector, Mag wheels,no heater etc, as I wanted it as light as possible. Went for a ride in the Blue SL with wind deflector that Caterham have for sale it was great, as my head seems to stick above the normal windscreen anyway I thought why bother with all that wiper/glass stuff. Now the long wait until July

Ali just refers to the material it's made of. The point of ordering the ali rad in the past was to get one with enough capacity to cool the engine under race conditions, hence its otherwise-know-name of "race" rad. if Caterham now supply only ali rads, I'd suggest they have a manufacturer able to supply a thinner (read: road) rad in ali. Not much gained, except maybe a little weight loss, over a conventional steel one.

If your rad is 65mm from front to back, then you have a race rad.

I have a JPG I drew up for someone with the dimensions of mine. Email me and I'll send it along with piccies I took of my rad on V7 if interested.

Tis true Caterham only do ali rads currently. The Road one has a vertical core and tanks top and bottom and has much the same dimensions as the steel/copper cored road rad. The ali race rad has horizontal core and tanks at each side, this rad has a greater coolant capacity.

> The ally road rad has a far greater cooling capacity then the copper / metal

Are you sure about this? Basic physical chemistry suggests to me that copper would be a much better heat conductor than aluminium.

Re weight, I found the ali road rad to be a lot lighter than the copper/steel one.

JV

Edited by - John Vine on 16 Mar 2002 21:05:25

I weighed my old steel / copper rad and the road ally one and both were around 3.6 kg - the steel one is the '97 40mm thick .

The ally rad drops the temp to 70c at a 70mph cruise , with an 82c stat . The temp with the metal rad never moved from 80c .

Dave

Caterham have done various ali rads over the years. My car has the original prototype one that Caterhams got Pace to make them to see if it would work, but Caterham didn't like the design, so got them to change it. I bought it from Pace as it had sat on their shelves for years and they were about to dump it. Its about 3/4 kilo lighter than the 4 row copper one when full of water.

From what I recall I think there have been at least three 'standard' designs. They are all bound to weigh different. I think pace still make them for Caterhams, but won't sell direct. I suspect that when full of water the latest design may be the lightest with its tapered header and footer reservoirs, but I haven't checked. Does anyone know what it weighs, full and empty ?