Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rawlnuts for rear wings

Midas

• Leadership Team

I'm replacing my rear wings. Got them off without damaging the rear skin, but when I replace them I have decided to go down the rawlnut and plastic bolt route.

Any idea what size rawlnut I would need that will fit the standard ali hole left by the orginal bolts. I can find M3, M4 or M5 in a variety of lengths, but not sure which ones are the right ones - anybody able to help???

• Leadership Team

Midas - why change the Rivnuts if they are sound *confused* Just use plastic bolts.

Also, if car is pre-96 you need one steel bolt to earth the rear light units, unless you earth at an alternative point.

Stu.

Because the rivnuts will rust and make the plastic bolts impossible to remove!

Use rawlnuts and plastic bolts - or as I make plastic studs for the rawlnuts, and use stainless nuts on the top. So much easier to fit the wings after this.... *cool*

/r

Edited by - RJ on 4 Dec 2006 08:00:06

Why would the rivnuts rusting make it impossible to remove nylon screws? *confused* The nylon screws won't corrode so should still come out with little or no difficulty. Must say, I've never had a problem with them.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Brent,

The surface of the pig iron will "grow", making marks in the nylon bolts, and then it's party time when you want to remove them.

Of course, if you are lucky enough just to break them, then you can recut the thread, but you may have lots of fun before that.

/regin

Could be down to the weather - and more salt - on our roads

RJ It's because Brent doesn't go out in the rain 😬

On a serious note, I have rivnuts and have not had a problem but I was told to smear grease all over before inserting as they were going into ali, but don't ask me why though, I just did it *confused*

Guy

The ZETEC Conversion has begun here

Picking up the ZETEC soon *biggrin*

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 6 Dec 2006 18:40:03

Don't go out in the rain????? You're 'avin' a giraffe - my present 7 has been out in the rain more times in the 18 months it's been on the road than my old one did in 7 years of ownership. May I refer you to 'Sossiges' 2005 as one example!

I rest my case. *wink*

Actually, two of the reasons I probably haven't had any problems is because 1) I changed all the Caterham fitted Rivnuts for proper ones with a decent shoulder diameter that don't spin in the ali skin when you try to undo a screw and, 2) everything, but everything inside the chassis skin is coated in a copious quantity of Dinitrol, thus preventing corrosion.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Funny thing is that I always waxoil anything I think has even the merest chance of becoming problematic to remove. I have to say that I have never replaced the factory fitted rivnuts as a precautious matter though!

That said, I still think it makes fitting the wings so much easier to have studs rather than bolts.

/regin