Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Splitting a Type 9 Box

Guy Lowe

Oi Small Balls.....

I'll get accused of encouraging you lot again.

But I do feel that it adds to tech talk to see these photos. It adds to my understanding of the overall scenario......

Its amazing how it differs from mine *thumbup*

I used Herringbone 😬

I only realised I was going bald when it took longer to wash my face

Edited by - Delbert on 15 Dec 2006 18:20:23

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he starts at 11:30 then he'll be finished by 12:15, only get 3.2 hours for overhauling a type 9 you know.

Unles it's on decking in a field and has lots of small balls - then you're allowed us much time as you want.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

Well, it took a little over 2 hours to reassemble.

First we took the gearbox and installed the thingy with the new and silky smooth bearing ...

Then we hit it a bit...

Then we took turns hitting it- this time with a bit of padding...

Then we whacked it really hard...

And then it was all done!

Rebuilding gearboxes is so easy! - all you need to do is give them a good whack every now and then!

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments that take your breath away.

Edited by - Se7en-Up! on 17 Dec 2006 15:52:26

Would have been done in half the time if a sodding blocker bar hadn't become dislodged from 4th gear synchro hub and no amount of jiggery pokery would get it back in so the box had to come apart again to get to it. They slip out so easily if the selector hub is moved just a fraction too much but are impossible to get back in without taking the mainshaft cluster from the gearbox.

All in all pretty straightforward and my 27 year old memory has now been refreshed. *cool* *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Would have been done in half the time if a sodding blocker bar hadn't become dislodged from 4th gear synchro hub and no amount of jiggery pokery would get it back in so the box had to come apart again to get to it. They slip out so easily if the selector hub is moved just a fraction too much but are impossible to get back in without taking the mainshaft cluster from the gearbox

Like I said..."First we took the gearbox and installed the thingy with the new and silky smooth bearing"

😬 😬 😬

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments that take your breath away.

A big thank you the Brent Steve and Trevor, thanks to them the gearbox is now back together and I have certainly learnt a lot about the type 9 gearbox and had a great laugh doing it. That’s what this club is all about and I have certainly made some very good friends over the last four years.

Steve and Brent, as you were leaving my next door neighbour came round and commented “ you were doing a lot of wacking in your garage, it sounded like your were rebuilding a type 9 gearbox”.

I know a lot of people have been following this thread with great interest *confused* (over 26,000 views), don’t despair it’s not finished yet, I still have to service the Webers, re wire the car, fit the new headlight brackets, fit an electric fuel pump, install the FIA master switch, plumb in the fire extinguisher and of course install the BRAND new ZETEC engine. Oh what fun we are going to have 😬

Guy SB's . *arrowup*.

The ZETEC Conversion has begun here

Picking up the ZETEC soon *biggrin*

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 17 Dec 2006 19:26:22

What's that bit of decking over Guy's eyes?

Bozz, it was there to show solidarity with me since I didn't have the right specs with me last week to see what I was doing and Guy just wanted to see what it was like to work blind.........so to speak! *wink*

Brent

R 417.39 😬

And very nice btw to see a garage so well decked out with decent tools for the job. *thumbup* I had to clutch the wall to steady myself, I was that taken aback with everything in my field of view.

Just a shame old Carling Tosser couldn't be there to watch but I hear that he has injured his leg and went down like a sack of potatos gasping in pain as he clutched his leg and when asked what the problem was he just said through gritted teeth..........."Ahhhh knee"

Brent

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 17 Dec 2006 23:24:27

Just a shame old Carling Tosser couldn't be there to watch but I hear that he has injured his leg and went down like a sack of potatos gasping in pain as he clutched his leg and when asked what the problem was he just said through gritted teeth..........."Ahhhh knee"

😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

Whoops - there goes another one

C7 GON

[acceptance speech][kisses Tony then dabs brow with handkerchief][applause fades]

What can I say except that I would like to thank a very special person, who can't be here today, in providing the inspiration for this joke. It isn't often in one's life the opportunity arises for the perfect joke nor, indeed, that one person alone can provide endless amounts of material for the construction of that joke.

I am deeply humbled by this award and dedicate it to that one special person.................you know who you are - thank you so much 😬 😬 😬

[applause rises to a crescendo as the audience, as one, give a heartfelt kneeling ovation][cries of...."Man, you de king" from the Caribbean contingent]

Brent

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 18 Dec 2006 16:58:53