Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Splitting a Type 9 Box

Guy Lowe

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bearing needs to be pressed on, there will now be a slight delay ('till Sunday) but please watch this space *cool*

With a bit of luck the new engine will be here before then 😬

Guy . *arrowdown*.

Edited to put this the right way up . *arrowup*.

The ZETEC Conversion has begun here

Picking up the ZETEC soon *biggrin*

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 12 Dec 2006 20:42:49

What is it like to have such intrest in a simple Gearbox rebuild?????

Obviously you will be putting it on a RR after the conversion so we can "discuss" that next 😬

When I get the mean reds the only thing to do is jump in the 7 ( with applebogies to Audrey)

Only if it's been properly calibrated! Trouble is I'm not sure there is a RR available that can handle the power and in any event it will most likely be under-reading by ooh let me see.........15%..........or more even 😬

Surprisingly, it took 8 tonnes of pressure to get the old bearing off *eek* so it'll be interesting to see what it takes to put the new one on.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Because it is a very tight fit on the shaft and slipping a tube over the shaft onto the bearing, then wacking with a reasonable size knocking stick did no more than get it on a few millimetres unfortunately.

Given the amount of force I had to apply to get the old one off, I decided it was prudent to gently press the new one on with the hydraulic press in my factory rather than keep trying to knock 7 shades of s**t out of it tonight.

'tis only a minor delay and since Guy doesn't have an engine to bolt it to at the moment, we figured another couple of days wouldn't present a problem and besides, Guy was desperate to get back to entertaining the parents *tongue*

Brent

R 417.39 😬

Pah, only a 10 ton press 🤔

Lightweight..............mine's a 25 ton *tongue*

Del, I hope you are finding this whole gearbox thing informative and are managing to clutch hold of some useful pointers in case you ever need to field some questions on the subject from Delberta and her friends. Actually, I've got a cousin named Derek (known in the family as Dec). In case you're wondering, his surname wasn't King though!

Guy, would Sunday afternoon work for you or is the morning better? I will probably be deaf as well as blind on Sunday, having been to see the Quo on Saturday evening! *eek* *cool*

Brent

R 417.39 😬

If ever Delberta asks me about anything to do with activities in Fields some young scroat will meet a timley end... In fact he will be clutching a wreath as he goes down.....

When I get the mean reds the only thing to do is jump in the 7 ( with applebogies to Audrey)

The new bearing is now sitting squarely and quite happily in it's home for the forseeable future. *thumbup*

Guy, would you mind bringing the (external) circlip that sits in front of the bearing along with you tonight please, I just want to ensure the bearing is far enough on the shaft rather than risk another aborted assembly. Cheers. *thumbup*

Only took just over 2 tonnes pressure to press it in place btw.

Brent

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 13 Dec 2006 09:38:20