Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Splitting a Type 9 Box

Guy Lowe

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norman

Bit busy at the moment there is some disagreement between Trev and Brent about which gasket goes where 😬

Oh all sorted now, but Brent is not happy with the first motion shaft bearing, it feels a bit rough and not turning correctly. We are not going to take any chances and will replace the bearing. So it’s all back round my place next weekend *cool*

Guy . *arrowup*.

The ZETEC Conversion has begun here

Picking up the ZETEC soon *biggrin*

The first motion shaft bearing has a lot of play in it . The shaft should "float" as it's supported by the bearing in the flywheel.

However it should not feel rough so bets replaced whilst it's out.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

As Norm says, caged ball bearings can appear to have play in them, ie the inner race will move around a bit which is perfectly normal but this one definitely didn't feel right and was quite rough in places when I rotated the outer race around the inner one.

It is actually a known 'weak' spot on this family of Ford inline gearboxes, including the earlier 4 speed units so when Guy mentioned he had noticed a whine from the gearbox, that settled it in my mind - it had to be swapped out.

I loved the look on Guys face when the 5th gear synchro hub fell apart as well. 😬

Have faith Guy, that bench full of gears, springs and circlips will one day be turned back into a cohesive unit *thumbup* Admittedly you will probably have 1 forward and 5 reverse gears but what the hell, we'll just turn your seat to face the other way! *tongue* 😬

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Guy,

Just to let you know, the shaft is now pushed out of the bearing, and a stubborn little bugger it was too If you can get the new bearing to me soon as poss, I will fit it to the shaft and arrange to come over to get the box re-assembled.

Bearing permitting, how about tomorrow evening?

Brent

R 417.39 😬

Reading specs? - check

Circlip pliers? - check

First motion shaft? - check

First motion shaft bearing circlip? - check

Tube to tap bearing in place? - check

Guy, probably a silly question but have you got a torque wrench of the right capacity? I think the nut needs tightening to around 100lb/ft or so.

Brent

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 12 Dec 2006 15:24:02