Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Splitting a Type 9 Box

Guy Lowe

*thumbup* *thumbup*Good news *thumbup* *thumbup*

I had a charging problem when I fitted my engine. And I'd left my phone at home in the excitement. And wallet. And tow rope 😳 At 10pm on a Sunday... A very nice man in a Merc stopped and drove me home to pick up my tow rope and then towed me home *thumbup*

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy,

Just had a thought... *idea*

Maybe the new alternator need an excitation current to start charging. You've got an LED as an ignition light so there will be no voltage going to the alternator to bump start the charging.

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

The funny thing about this signature is, by the time you realise it says nothing, it's too late to stop reading it.

Charging problem now solved, the charge indicator neon has to be at least 3W to provide sufficient excitation current to start charging of the new alternator *confused*

Anyone know where I can get a (very) small panel mount bulb holder that will take a 3W + bulb 🤔

Guy SB Lowe o *arrowup*o

The ZETEC is now running here

Evening CageyH

I have the old Caterham one and was going to Cable Tie it behind the dash but it has not got a high enough watage to activate the alternator. So now I have a 21W indicator bulb stuck under the dash and I can see my feet in the dark if I stall the car, trrrrriiiiiffffffffffficcccccccccccccccccccc all the MAX POWER boys think I'm cool with my orange foot well 😬

Guy SB Lowe o *arrowup*o

The ZETEC is now running here

Sorry Guy, I hadn't seen that you had resurrected the thread with a first running report. Glad it goes ok although I'm a bit disappointed you still only have 1 reverse gear or is that the Norm! *wink*

You'll soon be wanting another 40 bhp though *wink* *eek*

When am I going to have a ride? *cool*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬