Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Splitting a Type 9 Box

Guy Lowe

Ever since owning my car it has a small oil leak from the gearbox, nothing much just a few drips when I put the car away when hot. I am now sure that the leak is from the G/B to spacer to tail shaft area, I have checked the 6 bolts are tight (33/36lbs) and looked to see if there are any cracks.

Looking at the gasket set here for the type 9 it seems there is a paper gasket either side of the spacer. Well I now have the engine & box out so I thought I would replace these two gaskets, my question is:

Will it simply just come apart and then slide back together again or should I look out for bits springing/falling out etc? *eek* *eek* *eek*

It seems that it may not be a rare problem here and here

Your advice please

Guy

The ZETEC Conversion has begun here

Picking up the ZETEC soon *biggrin*

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norman thanks for the link, it looks like a lot of work to replace the forward gasket *eek*

Brent looking at the link Norman sent me, I might just put a oil tray on the garage floor and keep toping it up ☹️

Guy

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 1 Dec 2006 13:31:01

(hide from Brent mode ON) Brent has taken the bait 😬 (hide from Brent mode OFF)

Well that's most kind of you to offer Brent, I don't care what the rest say about you I think you are a very fine chap. I'll let you know when I have the parts inc. the rear oil seal

Thanks Brent *thumbup*

Guy

Reading through my post above it sounds similar to the “clutch change in Le Mans saga”. 😬 But it wasn’t meant that way and I appreciate your offer Brent *thumbup* Parts now on order but there is no rush as I will not be getting the new engine until the middle of December.

Guy

So whats the clutch change in Le Mans saga then Guy? Please provide a full explaination, as I've never heard.

EFA - Ex Fat Arnie

4 Counties AO and owner of K2RUM The car of two halves with only half an engine.

Edited by - EFA on 1 Dec 2006 21:16:20

So Guy, I take it you got through to Raceline in the end.

Mid December...and you believed them? 😬

I thought it was going to be mid August/September/October/November/December/January/ February/March/April/May/June/July....(Delete as applicable 😬)

Either way "It will be ready in two weeks" *tongue*

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments that take your breath away.

The issue I have Guy, is that you have made reference to an event, which to the best of my knowledge you were not present, but have on more than one occasion presented in a fashion which I believe is detrimental to my character.

So seeing as you feel it necessary to quote this event, I'd like you to lay out your facts so all can see.

I would not like to find that like one or two other persons on here, you actually have no substance on which to base your diatribes.

EFA - Ex Fat Arnie

4 Counties AO and owner of K2RUM The car of two halves with only half an engine.

The issue the rest of us have Arnie is that nobody thus far has made any mention of you on this thread. As ever, you have chosen to try and turn a 'throwaway' comment into a major incident which as I said above appears to display distinct overtones of paranoia on your part. Six little words do not, in my book, constitute a 'diatribe'. Had you kept out of it, the comment to which you refer would have been lost and probably not even seen by the vast majority of BlatChat contributors but no, you couldn't help yourself could you.

This thread has nothing to do with you despite your attempt to make it so and I would respectfully suggest you withdraw from it and stop trying to goad somebody into saying something you don't like whereupon you can again throw toys out of the pram and yet again create an incident where none was ever intended. I have news for you, the world does not revolve around Arnold Webb - deal with it!

Grow up little man and try instead for once in your life to conduct yourself in a manner which earns, at least some, respect from others!

I hope Guy doesn't decide to lock this thread so that others can, for a while, continue to see you for what you are.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 4 Dec 2006 14:48:29

Brent,

If Guy does not want to get himself drawn into this kind of discussion, then he should be more careful with what you chose to describe as 'his throwaway' comments. Presumably he uses his brain before posting, but then his neural matter could be in his balls, which judging by his failure to put definition of his statement on record, means it is at best small, more likely missing.

You know Brent why he can't answer. Stop protecting him.

EFA - Ex Fat Arnie

Edited by - EFA on 2 Dec 2006 16:32:12

Brent,

If Guy does not want to get himself drawn into this kind of discussion, then he should be more careful with what you chose to describe as 'his throwaway' comments. Presumably he uses his brain before posting, but then his neural matter could be in his balls, which judging by his failure to put definition of his statement on record, means it is at best small, more likely missing.

You know Brent why he can't answer. Stop protecting him.

That's a little rude, isn't it?

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

Spanner, very true but sadly not in Arnies world

(he's at the centre and everything revolves around him so I'm told - something to do with too many Donuts 😬)

Maybe we should make a list of words that should be banned from Blatchat so as not to cause further distress.

Le Mans

Clutch

Decking

Can't think of any others at the moment.

Maybe Small Balls Guy will think of a few 😬 😬 😬