Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front cycle wings - indicators or no indicators?

Mrs Kipper

I've done the search on this but can't seem to find the thread with the answer.

I am going to be fitting new front cycle wings over the winter. There are side indicators on the wings at the moment but do I really need them (for MOT)? Car is year 2000.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

The answer depends on which MOT centre you use and their interpretation of the rule. You will find people on here who insist that they are mandatory, and people who insist that they aren't. Caterham obviously think that they are mandatory, which is why they supply them, as indeed do every other car manufacturer in the world.

For what it's worth (very little), my car has no repeaters and i've not had a problem yet. But I do make sure that the car goes to an MOT centre that is known to be 7 friendly. I'm not sure how i'd fare if I took it down to the local tintop MOT centre.

stephen

Side repeaters are not nessasary. My car has run without them for several years. The MOT test requires the tester to be able to see the front indicators fromstanding at the rear side of the car. If you turn the indicator pods 45 degrees pointing outwards this becomes possible and it satifies the MOT test. My car has gone through 3 test staitions like this. *thumbup*

RED 2.0 HPC 230BHP *thumbup* *smile*

I had my 2003 car built up with a temporary set of wings with side repeaters for the SVA,

soon as it passed i put the proper new wings on the car without the indicators.

Forgot all about it until the first MOT 😬

MOT man gave me a lecture about visibility ect then passed the car ! made me smile as the car is bright orange and very visible *cool*

Never had them on my first 7 (96) year

Alex

• Leadership Team

This has been done a thousand times. Yes they are needed, if a car's passed without it because the MOT rules have not been followed. Forward facing indicators that double as side viewable are E-marked as such. Caterham ones are not this type.

Stu.

• Support Team

From the MOT manual:

Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an 'E' mark in a circle or an 'e' mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5. Some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicles rear bumper with indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

Make your own interpretation and then hope the MOT tester sees it that way too. I disagree with Stu on this, as does my very experienced MOT tester - the text above very clearly states that some cars are NOT fitted with an E marked lens and should be tested as described above. We can argue this as long as you like but the MOT rules, as written, are open to interpretation (as many laws are). You can seek clarification on this if you like but I would just find an MOT tester who agrees with my interpretation!

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Out of interest, how does this relate to vehicles that never had a side repeater fitted in the first place? Do these regulations mean that they have to be retrofitted to every road vehicle to comply with the regulation that Shaun has provided?

They are going to look darned ugly on that Model T Ford *confused*

Not sure. I believe my car was SVA'd as a factory-build in '01 without repeaters fitted. One of the first things I did after acquiring the car in '03 was to get them fitted - an act that was partly instrumental in me never taking my 7 to a commercial garage ever again - and the start of me learning how to service (and eventually rebuild) the car... *thumbup*

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

From the MOT test manual;

"Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986

These must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens. (See information on following page).

"

here

stephen