Click here if you are having website access problems ×

scale model caterham 7

rod price

THE best kit bar none is the Tamiya 1/12th scale kit.

But it's very pricey (well over 100 quid here, probably nearer 200) and not that easy to find.

Try "The Hobby Company Limited" on 01525-385-798 if you're interested.

Building one of these can't be too far off building your own car. Screws, ali' plate and everything.

Kyosho et al do some versions which are OK, but compared to the Tamiya one they're nowhere near.

The Scalextric ones are pretty good too...

By the way, a search of the forum should give you more pointers as there have been a few threads like this in the past.

Edited by - Andy Murphy on 12 Mar 2002 17:34:16

Mine was a Tamiya xflow with flared wings. The best (and most beautiful) model I've ever built, as mentioned above loads of ally, screws, paper concertina air filters, just a dream - £200 at the time. Sat it next to my 1/12 Jaegermeister Porsche in the office and when I couldn't figure out what the hell it was all about, sat and looked at the two of them and gathered strength to carry on.

(These days I get a much better buzz from standing out in the garage and looking at my ss)

Tomorrow's a good day for it!

I have just made an exact replica of Peter C's skip. based on the Kyosho models Andy mentioned.

All personal details included, including upgraded K-series engine (model came with Cossie)

Andy - will bring it tomorrow if you go and show you most recent iteration!

Mr Angus is being modest.

It may have started life as a Kyosho. In the same way (and not to put too fine a drunken point on it) that the Venus de Milo used to be a block of stone. It is that good.

If he's up for it, you could do worse than commission Angus to do a "Kyosho" on yours (Angus - the word commission will be used again if you get swamped with emails, OK!).

I would bring the Tamiya tomorrow but (a) it's at home and I'm not and (b) it's not quite as good a custom job as yours Angus. I also need to get a perspex case sorted for it.

I have some blurred photos of the build process if anyone's interested though.

PS ChrisC - this must be the first time I think I've had a bargain from what you've said! I had to work in Tokyo for a while, and ship the thing a good 15000 miles, but it was a bargain nonetheless!

Edited by - andy murphy on 13 Mar 2002 01:33:09

• 3 weeks later...

If you weren't thinking of spending 200 quid then Tamiya also do a 1/24th scale version for about a tenner. Mines green with red interior and clam shell wings (not got round to building it yet though).

Obviously not a patch on the professional 1/12th scale version but a small fraction of the price. Based on that I would have expected it to be a model of a Westf1eld I guess....

I'd agree with the comments on the detail of the 1/12 Tamiya kits.

I bought my JPE kit from Japan on Ebay, my Cosworth BDR cycle wing one on Ebay from the USA and my Flared wing Cosworth BDR in the UK. Yes I am sad and have all three and only one is partly built.

JOhn