Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Thrust bearing for AP multi plate...

John Howe

I'm having terrible problem try to make a marriage between QED flywheel and their supplied 7.25" AP Racing multi plate clutch.

It could be that the flywheel spec is wrong for having offered the engine up, the clutch actuating arm was 2.5mm short of making contact at max. travel.

They are talking about remaking the flywheel but what has come out of the melting point is that the Caterham thrust bearing face, which is flat, this is not suitable with the AP clutch and the face needs to be rounded.

Has anyone travelled this route and can tell me where/what the bearing is from. I understand that it most likely is from a Ford.

Dimentions are the urgency, more so than the item.

JH

John,

Are you running cable or hydraulic clutch?

A hydraulic bearing can be obtained from Burtons or Superclutch. (01926 424809)

FWIW IMHO and based on Mike Culmers experiences QED are rather good at selling bits which do not work together.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Arnie, its a cable clutch and I couldn't agree more with you HO of QED.

We had refitterd the engine before the short fall between trust race and clutch fingers became obvious. Measuring up after the event showed the actual difference is 16mm.

On Monday morning QED were talking about making me a new flywheel but by Tuersday afternoon it was... "we only sell them". In otherwords your on your own Jack.

I am informed by QED that the fingers should not move more than 5mm and on this bases I am going to try and mount an alternative curved face to the original flat faced bearing.

I guess I'll need to make up 10mm, so I'm off shopping to see what is available in the local parts departments that can be grafted on.

JH

Arnie,

There is no hydraulic actuation commercially available for a k-series with the in-bellhousing oil tank. I have a design that works effectively but it was a custom build.

The QED flywheel may also not have the splines of the clutch engaging with the first motion shaft of the gearbox - the Rover (Elise, MGF) gearbox/bellhousing places the splines much closer to the back of the engine than the Caterham k-series bellhousing and gearbox.

QED are not experts in the Caterham installation of the k-series, however well they know the Elise installation of the k-series. John should have no difficulty in arguing that supplying an "Elise part" to a caterham owner was inappropriate and the part is not fit for purpose.

John,

Best hope of a quick fix would be to butcher the original bearing to carry forward the nylon carrier. Machine a top hat to be a non-clearance fit on the carrier. Fit a Saab hydraulic actuation bearing (rubber mounting anulus) onto the top hat.

The pedal ratio may be rather aggressive and the combined stretch of the cable and bending of the arm (the arms have been known to snap) will give a poor pedal action.