Click here if you are having website access problems ×

what size tyre ??

Paul22uk

i have just order my new wheels in the smallest size they do which is 6x14" now what size tyres would be best

i am thinking about yoko's 032r in either 185/60/14 or 185/55/14 which size would be better my thinking is that the later would be better as it gives a lower rolling raduis

any other thoughts ?

many thanks

Paul

What sort of car have you got?

185/60/14 work very well on a K Supersport car (and ones of similar poke).

The added profile has several benefits:

- tyres are usually cheaper.

- they fill the arches better.

- they help ride comfort.

- and, I'm pretty certain, it can help the handling.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the 32Rs unless your car is used in the vast majority on track and in the dry.

There is little advantage in terms of outright grip on public roads over 21Rs, they're not as progressive and they wear out twice as quickly (in S compound let alone SS).

32Rs look better, are fractionally better on turn in and do have more ultimate grip, but you don't need the added percentage point on the public road. Wet weather performance is more important there and the 21Rs are significantly better in that respect.

48Rs aren't yet available in a decent range of sizes, but I'm told these will be the tyre to have when they are. They also look superb.

The car is a 1700 x-flow with about 140bhp it will only ever be used in the dry and mainly for track days thats why i thought about 032r's

the only reason for me thinking about the 185/55/14 is that i would give a rolling raduis closer to a 13" wheel

Edited by - paul22uk on 14 Mar 2002 09:07:28

That helps gearing but not by a massive amount I think. Almost certainly not worth worrying about.

I'd be inclined to get 60s (I use 60 profile on my K series and it's still pretty quick).

Now I have to try and persuade you to buy 21Rs and a rain coat, don't I smile.gif