Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K Rover coils aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhh again...

Unclefester

I seem to be having the same weird ignition fault as in the summer, when I was plagued by what turned out to be a coil fault.

I finally replaced both coils and that cured it!

Until today. I'd driven into Limoges to check availability of the tiny battery in the SV (zero) and after removing the battery at one place, the car started with exactly the same symptoms as before....lumpy, uneven tickover, no fine throttle control and no power under 3000 rpm.

I drove it back in the rain, 40km to a nice dry barn, and changed one of the coils for one of the old pair.

I took it for a test drive and initially it was missing really badly, but seemed to clear itself, and then ran faultlessly 40km back to Limoges, where I again had several stops to make.

On restarting at one of the stops, the problem seemed to be back, but not so badly as before, then went away again and the car behaved ok all the way home.

I'm puzzled. Do I have several knackered coils or is it something else?

The coil I took out today can't have done more than 1500km.

I noticed the new ones were made in Korea, while the originals were Denso, made in Spain.

Are there any known issues with these coils?

I'm beginning to think EU2 would be more reliable for my new EVO220 1800K engine, which at the moment has no distributor as I was intending to use the EU3 coils on it.

Frankly, if the reliability is as poor as it seems, I'd rather have the dizzy and one coil!

SeaView!!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Edited by - unclefester on 24 Nov 2006 22:02:52