Click here if you are having website access problems ×

cyclw wing stay clearance

Neil Harvey

Currently running the R400 style wheels 175/55 - 205/55 CR500's with Freestyle Road/trackday Wide track AVO suspension set-up (flat floored by Gary May when Built

- done a few trackdays and been quite happy with set up ( for my numpty ability !) apart from the ground clearance to the sump is circa 50mm and a bit low for Road driving !

Looks like I'll need some new tyres in the next 1000-2000 miles so I was looking at keeping the CR 500's for track use , and was considering 185/70 A021's on 13" Minator rims for Road use - Good price from George Polley . ( no jokes about tractors please)

However having whipped ( Only took 2 bleedin hours with molegrips due to rusted bolts!) the wings off for Winter TLC , it doesn't look like I've got the extra 30mm of radial clearance to the diagonal bit of the rear stays - I looked up the build spec sheet and it says I've got race/15" stays

Any body fitted the above combination to such a set-up ? What about a different wheel offset ( I think the std is ET23 for the 13 x 6 " rims) or would this not be advisable.

As an alternative I was potentially looking at 15" wheels for a road set-up but perhaps with 195/50 scudo stunners ( bit cheaper fhan CR500's) ? Anybody fitted these to the set-up I've got ? Caterham suggested the 195/45 CR500's would fit but could't comment on the 195/50 profile

I guess I can change the ride height on the adjustment, although having had the car set up I was a bit reluctant to do this .Also it only looks like I've got about 20mm worth of thread to go on the damper thread , is it a 1:1 relationship How much ride height increase will this give ?

As an aside , can I mix a new CR500 with an Old one ? My spare 175 /55 13" ( just under 2 years old) is unused and I had hoped that buying one new tyre would give me a couple of new fronts

ta

neil

• Support Team

I've got the race stays and 195/50 Stunners will not fit under them - I'm not convinced the 195/45s will either but I don't know for sure. I doubt that 185/70 A021Rs will fit either. 185/60 A021Rs or 185/60 A048Rs will both fit although getting them on and off is a bit tricky as they can foul the wing as they come off.

Avon changed the compound of the CR500 a while ago and it is possible that your spare is the old compound - you need to check before buying a single tyre to match it.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Thanks,

Confirmed my thoughts

Anybody out there got the 195/45 15" CR500's with the race/15" stays ?? was this the R300 build spec??

What about the offset tho - I was surprised that it's the angled bit of the stay ( not the horizontal bit ) thats the problem, so moving the wheel out by a bit will improve the clearance to the stay ( possible give probs with the outer edge of wing tho')

Ta

neil

• Support Team

To be honest, probably best to go back to Gary and ask him to raise the car by 15mm. You could do this yourself if you measure the ride height first - adjust each side an equal number of turns and maintain the same rake front to back - plenty of posts in techtalk on how to do this. To raise the ride height you screw the adjusters towards the spring.

Yellow SL *cool* #32