Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing my seats

George S

Novice owner with daft question which hopefully atrracts a simple answer.

I want to remove the seats from my 1999 Roadsport (1.8K) (for re trimming by Oxted) and as I haven't looked underneath the thing yet, wondered how easy/difficult this will be?

• Support Team

It's a job for 2 people or one with very long arms 😬.

Standard fit is a bolt through the runner and floor with a nut underneath. It's usually possible to wedge a spanner on the bolt and then undo the nut from underneath. It's much easier if one person can get a spanner on the bolt and the other undo the nut, especially for the inner bolts as it's impossible for even an Orangutan to reach both.

There are 4 bolts to each seat and you need to slide the seat forward to get at the rears and backwards to get at the fronts.

There are lots of tips on making it easier next time - use caphead bolts, weld the bolts to the runners, etc. I've never bothered and I've had the seats out 3 or 4 times - I just call my glamorous assistant 😬 to help.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I'm a novice too and recently replaced my seats. I would certainly agree that it is a two man job. One handy tip I can pass on through experience is, take the front bolts out first. This should allow the seat to slide further forward giving you better access to the back bolts. More importantly, when putting the seats back in (after their refurb), put the rear bolts in first and then the fronts. I made the mistake of putting the fronts in first and then couldn't slide the seat far enough forward to get access to the back bolts. This was with tillets, but I would imagine this applies to most other seats.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the tips, long arms could be a problem as I'm 5 foot 6 and my glamorous assistant (wife)is even shorter. I shall look forward to a weekend of grazes, bruises and bad language. A friend is coming over who thinks we are going to play golf, he may be in for a surprise.

Thanks mav & dave f, now that I can see how easy the seat squabs come out, taking the allen bolts out looks fairly easy (I bet the last one is seized, it's been that sort of week) and I don't want to remove the runers if I don't need to.

Cheers.