Click here if you are having website access problems ×

So what is the best List 1b Radial

Mark Durrant

having had breakfast and with a new positive outlook........ *smile*

this here is with little doubt going to be the optimal setup . 235 rear and 215 front or 175 front in soft compound .

Darren and Tony ran these at curbuggar and a few other places and the time distanmce between us was maintained the same as when Darren and tony ran ACB10's . They are realy realy soft and were actually flaking away after just 2 laps double driven *eek*. I also know another experienced 240 bhp runner wh tried these and he commented that they are only a knats chuff slower then acb's but they do carry a weight penalty vs ACB.

*biggrin*

here is C7 TOP

South Wales AO *thumbup*

I also have competed on 48Rs and 32R's and now use R888's

I found the 48's too hard even in the soft compound fronts and they took longer to heat up than SS 32R . But once warm were comparable in grip . I also now use R888's and these are good. They heat up quickly and have softer sidewalls than 48R's and are quite progressive ,. Grip is above 48's when warm but they do over heat quite quickly on a trackday .

My choice would be

1- V70R for grip and width

2- R888 in soft

3- 32R in SS (if you can find any)

4- 48R in soft all round

here is C7 TOP

South Wales AO *thumbup*

• Support Team

What would be the best value wheels to mount these on?

I am thinking of 185/60 front and 205 rear (probably the Toyo R888 although I'm not ruling out the Kumho just yet).

I could go for another set of 6" and 8" caterham 8 spokes but I was thinking of maybe the Compomotive CXR. Would 6" and 7" be better? What offsets would I need?

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I cant rob as I havent used them I was working onnthe feedback from other fast/experienced competitors with coffin shaped cars.

I guess the soft ones will wear the same as A24 ACB's ☹️ especially as Tony managed to screw a set of fronts around curbuggar 😳. Wet grip should be Ok as the tread pattern is quite heavily grooved but they only come with about 4.5 - 5mm tread when new .

here is C7 TOP

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Rob, I use the soft compound Kumhos on the road 175 and 215. They seem to be holding up quite well but I don't do that many miles, although the miles I do are generally flat out. The tyre pattern has very narrow grooves and doesn't disperse water very well so on a wet or damp road they work well but standing water they aren't great.

To add to my comments, when these tyres get hot they do start to bead up in the same way as soft slicks do, Then they fill in the grooves with rubber.

The differences between Kumho's and ACB10's that I found were the way they warmed up (slower) and then overheated faster especially if you have an understeering or oversteering car where the tyres are overheating. the key to getting them to work is have a well balanced car so the people that can setup there car well and drive smoothly will get the most out of Kumho's