Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering Column Bush removal

mark shekle

I'd posted a thread on this a few weeks ago and got some helpful tips on the best method of removal i.e. use the cut out from QR column hooked over bush and pull... hard, or brute force using a hammer...!

The 1st option wasn't successful despite my best efforts and I was still left wondering how to extract the lower bush, the 2nd option for me was a non-goer, I can't find it in me to take a hammer to the car, however necessary.

So, what next, well I did it like this :

1) In the top bush drill a small-ish hole in the bush itself (where you can see it, self explanatory really)

2)Using a small flat bladed screwdriver place the end in the drilled hole from underneath and lever against the column housing

3)All things being equal the bush should be easily extracted

To get the bottom one out, I rigged up a tool using a lenght of threaded rod, a washer that would fit inside the column housing (but bigger than the diameter of the bush), followed by a nut and at the other end a large washer and nut. Simply tighten the nut on the outside and the bush will be extracted note: I then used a socket from a socket set to allow the bush to fit into this, allowing for complete removal.

The good thing is that fitting is the reverse procedure and doesn't involve a hammer or brute force, just the gentle tighting of a nut....worked like a dream...!

Mark