Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Poppers

steve_berkshire

Hi Guys,

Basic question. Tonight when leaving work one of the poppers on my boot cover broke and separated. The leather boot cover now has the hole where the popper should go through. Are poppers easy to fit to the leather?

Hope this makes sense.

I am keen to get this sorted as the cold weather seems to be taking it's toll on the poppers so another one might break soon :(

Steve

If you build the car up from a kit you get a punch that is shaped to rivet over the poppers . I guess you could get one from CC along with some spare poppers. There is a bit of a knack to doing the job. I found it was easiest to back the popper with a softwood block (rather than the ali cup effort that comes with the punch) and then rotate the top of the punch round in a circle slowly as you hammer. This makes the rivet to flair out evenly and far more predictably than if you just hammer straight down.

Colin

Loads in the archives. Most (I'd hazard to guess) hate the CC popper tool - I could never get it to do anything other than crush the post sideways rather than mushrooming it.

The proper 'proper' tools are horrendously expensive - so the two remaining options that I've tried are to slot the post with a hacksaw and also to mount the cup and pin of the CC tool into a g-cramp or vice. The latter allows you to control the crush and (hopefully) get it dead-center. Fiddly though.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Steve

The tool you need is called a Durable Dot tool, I have one I can post if you want to borrow it, it's only small? I've done 2 tonneaus and a boot cover and find it works ok. I may even have a spare popper, would need to check though.

ric's fun to be found here

Seek forgiveness, not permission.

Rules are for the interpretation of wise men and the obedience of fools.

Edited by - ric on 22 Nov 2006 08:11:47

I could never get it to do anything other than crush the post sideways rather than mushrooming it.

Yes, that is what I found until I tried the roundy-roundy technique which seems to get a nice even flair started. I also think a little grease on the punch helps.

Colin

• Support Team

Get the tool and some spare poppers from Jill Judd at Soft bits for Sevens. I find theirs easier to use than the one from Caterham - it seems to be a better shape.

I have also found a tool in the local arts and crafts shop which is like a large pair pf pliers with a cup on one jaw and the popper tool on the other (they are interchangeable for different types of poppers). It was only about £10 and makes the job really easy - only any good for poppers on the edge of an item.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

That's the one.

The hollow tube on the left is the punch for making a hole in the fabric. The solid tool in the middle is the punch to flare the popper and the plastic bit is what the popper sits in when you hit the punch with a hammer. It's all fairly obvious once you get it and a popper in front of you.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Steve,

Assuming that your location is correct, you can borrow my primitive tool for the one popper. Your biggest problem with using the caterham supplied tool is removing the boot cover. Once it is flat on the ground it is quite simple. Otherwise, the expensive tools can do the repair in situ.

Cheers,

Graham

---

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

• Support Team

In the past I have used a bit of 2x2 wood across the top of the boot to place the cup on.

If you can make it to Penn Sevens on Saturday, I'll bring the "pliers" tool that doesn't need the cover to be removed. You'll need to get there early as I need to leave soon after 1.00.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 23 Nov 2006 21:54:56

Hi Shaun,

Just had a look at the meeting details and it looks good. I have such a mad weekend and will be helping at my sons school event (was volunteered) at the time of the Penn Sevens meeting ☹️

Based on what I have read it looks like a need a pliers style tool rather than the Jill Judd tool as that would mean I have to take the boot cover off the car.

Steve