Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing silicone gasket

Dave McCulloch

I've searched the archives but can't find an answer to this one. I'm doing my first oil change since dry sumping my K series, and when I built it I fitted the blue plate with silicone gasket gloop as recommended in the instructions. After many hefty wallops with a mallet and drift, I've finally persuaded the blue plate to part company with the bellhousing, but how do I remove the layer of silicone I'm now left with? Tried brake cleaner and cellulose thinners so far with no joy - is there a solvent which dissolves this stuff?

Hopefully won't have the problem again as I'll be fitting a Hellier plate with drain plug.

Thanks

Dave

I would strongly suggest you don't use regular silicon sealant in this or any other oil related application. Its a bu99er to get off next time you take it apart and you run the risk of a small (or large) piece breaking off and finding its way into an oil way, with disastrous consequences. Vauxhall spares departments, and no doubt other manufacturers, sell a much softer sealant GM part# 90485251, that will only break up into very small soft pieces and won't cause a blockage and will get taken out by the filter. Its a doddle to clean off ands what's more it works as an excellent sealer. You can buy a Loctite version from Halfords Loctite 598. I expect Loctite make it for GM anyway. If you keep the cap on the tube it lasts for years.

Just my two penny worth!

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 22 Nov 2006 17:50:45

Is Loctite 598 an anaerobic sealant? I've read on here before that the blue plate and the bellhousing surface aren't always absolutely flat with the result that an anaerobic sealant won't seal properly - which is why I used silicone sealant last time around (only a small amount) - and there was no sign of any excess having tried to break away inside the bellhousing.

Dave

Wellseal is great stuff, smells good too! It looks like golden syrup and sets to a thicker version, but won't break off or break up. I used it on the MG because silocone does break up..liked it so much that I will use it for the Caterham when I need to seal things up.