Click here if you are having website access problems ×

OK , rules determined ......moving on

Jason Plato

I am watching this with interest. The ACB10`s are banned, one day later plans are afoot by the front runners to fit an alternative expensive solution which no one in there right mind would use as a road tyres and will necessitate increasing wheel widths to accomadate the new rubber. Madness. IMO a control tyre needs to be specified if you want to attract more members into sprinting, it needs to be a level playing field.

Rob

Rob,

A control tyre may lead to the expense of a newcomer with a standard car and CR500's to have to buy new tyres to enter the sprints.

I don't disagree with your thoughts on this, but if I have to spend £400 on a third set of tyres, then I won't be entering any sprints this year.

I am just glad I am not the one who has to make the decisions.

Only dead fish go with the flow....

I thought a major point regarding the ACB10 decision was that for those new competitors who may want to move to what is potentially a more competitive tyre that at least initially it may be just a tyre decision, may ultimately involve a wheel decision, but at least does not require a completely different suspension set up (and the costs involved) and hopefully you still end up with a tyre that does not compromise road use too much.

Rob, I certainly wouldn't consider myself as a front runner 😳

These tyres seem cheaper than ACB10s and comparable to 048s and are perfectly suitable for use on the road *thumbup*, whilst the widths obtainable are unusual I am currently using the 7" fronts and 8" rear ACB10s and these do seem a straight metric equivalent.

Things are not always as they appear, although others may be contemplating these tyres purely for sprinting, they are good value for all round use. I really don't think that newcomers contemplating sprinting will be unduly worried by what is a competitive streak in most of us, if its not tyres it will soon be something else, suspension is due for discussion next week *confused*

I do hope that limiting tyres to radials will reduce the exclusiveness that may have prevailed previously to those starting, but you won't stop others wanting a percieved advantage in one form or another,partly mind games i'm sure 😬

Though I am sure there is more gain to be found from the driver than any goodies added to the car.

Martin

Martin,

I don`t think that you have been paying attention. It is highly likely that some well heeled competitors will fit 215`s on 8" front rims and 235`s on 9" rear rims these being the soft Kumhos whist the rubber is cheaper than ACB`s the rims are not cheap and the tyres are very soft with a very high wear rate. So what chance has joe soap got who drives his seven to and event on yoko 48`s on standard width rims. Non. You call this competition ? A repeat IMHO a control tyre is needed apart from class 6 and or as Dave J posted a maximum tyre width.

Rob

Rob,

Sprinting is a possibility, Its that time of year when I contemplate what I want to do next year with the car. I certainly did not get enough use out of it this year. Trouble is I have my heart set on having a go at sports 2000 Duratec class but this requires a Nat A race licence so may end up racing my seven or a cheap radical in the Castle combe GT series to get some signatures on a Nat B licence. Cannot make up my mind *confused*

Rob

Edited by - Rob Walker on 23 Nov 2006 13:31:54

Rob

I had posted some questions so presumed you were including me in your first post.

I have been paying attention and I hope my post reflects this.

I am well aware that the same rims the top guys used with their ACB10s will be fitted with some wide Kumho rubber, a change of tyre for them not a change of wheel too especially as their ACB10s cannot now be used.

My point was that if not tyres or wheels how many of the newcomers to sprinting you refer to will have trick dampers or top spec engines, not many I am sure and most will be happy at the standard they set themselves.

The only way to set a more level playing field would be more stringent regs as Class 2/3 or grads etc spec but then how many owners have cars to meet these specs.

This is entry level and most of all fun motorsport, as long as we are realistic where we finish we can all enjoy ourselves.

Martin