Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tech Forum - Changes to Classes for 2007

Mark Durrant

So now what do I do with my ACB10's ???? £500 down the drain, plus the cost of a new set that I hope to run with (Anything up to £500) ☹️

As for class 5 filled with cars from the factory, what about all those that are modified that can (Could have) run in that class with ACB's?

A period of grace would be nice so people can use current ACB's

Like mose above mst of the changes are good *thumbup*, but this is an expence I could do with out. ☹️ ☹️

Edited by - smithj41 on 21 Nov 2006 15:45:38

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,thats a very good question. All the changes have been justified by levelling up the playing field and giving class progression for modified cars. I see no real thought for existing cars and as for levelling up the playing field someone with a fireblade now has to play with busa's or other big bhp modified cars in class 5 or 6. Fair 🤔

The option of giving a years notice was discussed but the decision was taken to make the changes this year. The number of entries in the old classes 4 & 5 have been poor this year and people have been put off joining the championship because of the requirement to have ACB10's to be competitive.

The change was agreed by those present on Sunday and whilst I understand your disappointment it is time to move on.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Mark, your point regarding the cost of acb10's to newcomers is a valid one - just as valid as the cost of replacing them for existing users. I can't see what will change, yes I hope we encourage new blood into the classes and if anyone asks me for help I will be a supportive as I can be but once the next 'it' tyre is established the same people will still win their class.

Could someone please clarify the nitty gritty of what "2007 Spec ‘Megagrad’ 1.6K Supersport cars" are and whether this means that the situation on 1.6K supersport cars has changed? *confused*

Peter - I'm sure your swing will be lovely. Will the frame need to have different geometry to a swing incorporating list 1A radials? (Sorry, that should probably be in tech talk 😬)

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

..so with a VVC (150bhp) engine and a 6spd box I am in class 4 as before, but I can run list 1b tyres and am only up against 190bhp maximum.

Sounds like a result and a more level playing field.

I do feel sorry for the guys with ACB10s, but it may give class 6 bigger entries if they want to keep using them.

Steve

MMmmmmm, Finally catching up after a three of weeks of very intermittant Blatchat access I find this ☹️ Don't know if its a *thumbup* or a *thumbdown*.

I guess we crossflow'rs have two options, either re-map to 160hp for class 2/3 or try to get by in class 4. Methinks class 4 will no doubt be the natural home of some meaty 190hp big torque Duratecs or slimline Superlight R's, so I suspect a remap may be needed to loose somthing like 20 odd HP and stay in class 2/3.

Just realised though doing that will then ruin my chances in the local AEMC sprint events where we are still 'just' competitive but wouldn't be at 160hp ☹️

Nearly everyone here though has lots to think *idea* about in the months ahead..................... and in my case I guess It comes down to which championship do I enjoy the most and do that *confused* *thumbup* *thumbdown*

Edited by - Graham Perry on 21 Nov 2006 21:45:18

Graham,

a high spec x-flow with 180+bhp is going to be fairly competitive in class 4 still. Remember the driver makes more of a difference than 10-20bhp. Remember SVs doesn't get any high power limit for weighing 25-50kg more than a whippet seven.. so even if I do have 190bhp against a x-flow with 180 out power to weights will be very similar.

And think how the other class 2/3 runners used to feel when their 1.8K with 140bhp couldn't be tweaked at all but there were 180bhp x-flows screaming up the hill??

A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad.

An Optimist hopes they are!

BaconB,

I'm not quite getting your dissappointment. All the cars you will be against in class 5 could have been in the old class 4 as well??

Maybe me not understanding the old regs.... my MarkD with his R500 would have bene racing you in the old class 4 on list 1A. Now you'll both be in class 5 with the choice of 1a or radial 1b. What has really changed so make your car so uncompetitive?

A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad.

An Optimist hopes they are!

I'm now between a rock and a hard place. I have built my car to run on cross -ply, although I currently have CR500 for the road. I know that ACB10 have a high price, but for most of us that want to run in class 5 have made the commitment to that expense. Surely there should of been room for a class that still want to be road legal but are happy to go to edge of the meaning of road legal, or am I talking complete b 😬ll 😬cks. Maybe there is room for a class 5a as suggested., if only for one year.

R600 VX here

I feel that I can speak freely as I have no real axe to grind, other than I would have liked to compete against the best runners at their best. However in the interest of cost surely there should've been a years grace. I thought that this was the norm in all forms of motor sports, even F1. It may be a little more hassle, but certainly a lot cheaper for me to set up my car for radial tyre over the winter. To be honest the plans that I had for cross-ply would have been quite costly, but none the less I feel that there should of been a years grace or a sub class. I accept that I could of been at the meeting to make my contribution but the cost to me and my business would of been far greater than a set of ACB 10's. I do not wish to undermine that meeting, however a years grace or a sub class can only be fair to all.

R600 VX here