Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Failed dipped headlights

Molecular--Bob

My dipped beam headlights failed this morning, but the sides main and interior still worked. So quite an interesting drive to work. Having looked in the archive, i am hopeing that its just a loose conection on the Main/Dip switch, but where else should i be looking if this isn't the cause? Will be driving home in the dark so want to try and fix it before i set off if possible.

• Support Team

The switch itself is known to fail. Swap the connectors round on the switch and if you now have dip but no main beam then you have your answer - and that would be easier to drive home with.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Bob,

This happened to me and symptoms you describe were exactly the same, check the main beam relay hasn't work loose from it's socket (under dash left hand side).

Bend the pins slightly then push it back in, I reckon that could be your problem *thumbup*

Hi,

I had a problem where dipped beam kept blowing the fuse. Tried everything, so we thought. Made a couple of temporary fixes, which showed we hadn't bottomed out the real issue. Eventually determined that the fault lay in the headlight area itself. Found a very small crack in the bulb holder/connector which allowed a short between two of the wires. A pair of headlight bulb holder looms is sub £10.

Note the above took many hours over a 4 plus month period to resolve.

Something similar happened to me recently.

It turned out that the wiring harness within the lamp had melted!

Like a muppet, I'd left the lights turned on a while ago, and I guess, without the airflow over the lamp, the plastic got v.hot and just melted.