Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Help on buying a first 7

Bloggsy

I've only been to the one over near Leicester, met a chap from my workplace whjo I hadn't met before. Lincoln, Leicester and Cambridge are each within miles of each other. I plan to visit Lincoln once I repaint my chassis rails (long saga). Leicester one was a fun drive though. Cambridge drive would be A14 so I'm a bit loathe to.

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec TB's + cams. I like my engine

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leadership Team

Bloggsy, the 1400 at Millwood looks a steal *thumbup* Looking closely at the images it's likely to be an ex-C-Class racer (MSA sealing tags on the engine) which if so, it should also be the Supersport version (130bhp)?

I ran one of these for 8 years and it was a fantastic car - mine was one of the many out there that was not actually raced - they were a good buy and many purchases were made as road cars.

I swapped mine to 1800cc after 5 years of ownership (see here for details on how to go about the conversion *thumbup*) and was extremely pleased with the result. At £7.5K, you could likely convert it to 1800cc, pick up some later style S-type seats and generally tidy it for less than £9K! It's got the fancy bits like Apollo tank already. The 5 speed g/box is fab with 1800cc.

Bargain!

Stu.

Hi Bloggsy

Bought my first Caterham in May - 1.4kss 6 speed and it's wonderful. I'm a crap driver and it's more than fast enough for me on the road. V reliable and although I'd driven a live axle xflow before which sounded like a Spitfire closing in on the Hun, I went for a K series for reliability. The 1.4 does lack torque lower down but goes mental above 5000 rpm. I've got no where near the limit in mine on normal road use, apart from sliding back end on roundabouts.

Get one....you won't regret it.....

Dr F.

Daddy.....will you be picking me up in the Korean Chavmobile or Lady Franken7tein.....?

Why not go for a bike engine one? Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to 11k+.

Maybe not a serious idea for a first car.

Xflows are great and full of character.

Zetecs are great value, don't worry about resale value, you won't ever sell it once you've got it.

Big Vx can be brutal

Next big thing is the Duratec but probaly no conversions on the market yet.

K series, just not my cup of tea - ducks for cover

Good luck

Matt

Life begins at 10,000 *cool*

Matt,

Not seen many 2.0 VX for sale, although there is one on eBay here

Not sure what that is likely to go for, in any case I won't have chance to look at it before the end of auction.

Don't think bike engined ones are for me - I have only just moved away from bikes!

Edited for link

Edited by - Bloggsy on 26 Nov 2006 15:46:18

• Area Representative

Matt,

Car on ebay looks fairly tidy and will probably go for around £11-12k I would think although the flared wings will probably put some people off. - With the underscuttle mounted handbrake I wondered whether it was either an earlier chassis than the 97 reg suggests or a race chassis as a 97 road chassis would have the tunnel mounted handbrake, checking its chassis number its a 93 chassis (letter P at the 10th place on the VIN number)

Cheers

Nick

Now the Orange HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

Edited by - Nick Chan on 26 Nov 2006 15:48:08

You guys will be so proud of me, I used the link about chassis numbers earlier in this thread and decoded the chassis on the ebay car. 1993 chassis!

Chuffed with myself!

DOH, Okay - now not quite so chuffed. Must read all posts above before being smug; even the edited ones Nick!

Edited by - Bloggsy on 26 Nov 2006 16:10:39

Bloggsy

The 1998 spec car looks almost superlight spec. *thumbup* *thumbup* with most of the desirable upgrades already done.

Would just need to get rid of the cr44py exhaust and there you have it. 😬

Was it factory or kit built?

Bozz

McLaren Orange and Black 1.6SS 6 Speed here

Edited by - Bozz on 30 Nov 2006 16:36:03

BTW Bozz, just looked at your linked photos, I think I see what you mean about exhausts now!

Casbar, didn't ask about a (an?) LSD - bit of a duffer about such things having never driven anything with one. How much diference do they make in daily use vs track use?

For track deffo.

For road would be better, but there are plenty of cars around without ones. You can fit later if you want one, if the price is right go for it, the 98 car looks good, with plenty of bits *thumbup*

Edited by - Casbar on 30 Nov 2006 17:13:22

When cornering hard and accelerating in the wet the inner wheel will often spin up without an LSD and youwill lose power until you straighten up. With an LSD some power will still go to the outer wheel and you can use that power to drive you out of the corner. Just be careful that that power doesn't throw the back of the car and you into the nearest ditch, if you apply it without due caution. 😳 *eek*

• 1 month later...

Shocked how long it is since I started this thread, but thought it only fair to update those of you kind enough to help me out.

I am now the proud owner of a nearly new (only 10 years old) 1.6 K series SuperSport, Green with Flared front wings (Clams?) *cool*

Once again, thanks for all the responses and standby for all my stupid questions in the near future about keeping it good shape; or perhaps even improving it.

Cheers, Bloggsy *thumbup*