Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Help on buying a first 7

Bloggsy

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shall look out for clockwork ones... do you get better MPG from them?

Jon @ Millwood is away at present but I am assured he will send me some info next week. I appreciate all the help and information so far from all on here, esp if the car was cheaper before!!!

I am still undecided whether to go for a K or a XF, hopefully when I see the right car I will know it.

BOSS, YHM back - missed by a day!

I did what SLR69 did as he is definitely correct, there are very few cars on here that have not been upgraded at considerable expense! SLR offers you the 200bhp that everyone aims for, LSD, 6 speed box. If you plump for a Superlight chances are you'll want to have 200bhp under foot ;) Just my opinion :)

I had to make a similar choice in the summer and I eventually went for 1400 classic at a shade over 8k.

Looking back, I'm happy with the k-series but I do still have a niggle at the back of my mind that I should have stumped up the extra cash and perhaps gone down the 1600 or 1800 route for that little bit extra power.

My plan is to have a good year with the car (couple of track days, le mans next year) and see how I feel. If I still have the bug, I might upgrade to something a bit more potent.

I would also look at what you want to use it for. I wanted to get out and drive mine no matter what the conditions so, for me, having a heater makes it that little bit more useable (6am in the morning on a dark motorway).

Mark

Even if you buy an SLR, you will want 230 BHP next.

It does not stop, it just gets more expensive.

I bought a 1.6 k Supersport. Had it for a year. Took it to see DVA and increased the power and drivability.

The 1.6 is a cracking engine - revs really well. I should think that with a six speed box, it would be fantastic.

Now I have a 1.8. Not driven it yet, but should be about 200 BHP.

That will be enough, for a while, and then I will want more....

My advice would be to get a '97 or earlier kit built car, so when you come to MOT time, you don't need a cat, and it's visible smoke only.

Oh, I bought mine from Millwood by the way. If you want a second opinion, I am happy to meet you there (as long as I am in the country), although Jon will do a good job showing you round the car.

Only dead fish go with the flow....

Does that mean any car not fully built by caterham, or are there more caveats to it than that?

Any help getting through MOTs has got to be good, this year both of our cars (relatively new) failed and cost us a couple of hundred quid each.

That would be a few miles petrol - even in a crossflow 😬

Bloggsy

Yes any non-factory built car.

You can tell by looking at the chassis number see

here

So its' anything but an S in position 6 and would suggest that all chassis numbers V and before and some early W's in position 10 would be 'visible smoke only' at MOT time and do not require a CAT. *wink*

For example Angus and Tessa's 1995 car was factory built and therefore needs a CAT for the MOT ☹️ Mines a 1997 kit built car and therefore does not need a CAT even though it came fitted with one from new. Not now though. 😬

Bozz

McLaren Orange and Black 1.6SS 6 Speed here

Edited by - Bozz on 22 Nov 2006 22:47:46

Bloggsy,

Why haven't you thought of a 2.0 VX (HPC)? Was the daddy in it's day...and some say still is!

You should be able to get a nice one for £12-13k if you look hard enough.

It's the best of both worlds. Lumpy and torquey like a Zetec and probably the most reliable 7 engine ever, most people refer to them as bullet proof, so no head gasket woes like a K nor the heavy fuel (and oil!) consumption of a x/flow.

I bought a de Dion 1994 HPC inj two years ago, one owner in fantastic condition for £12.5k.

More power and grunt than you will need to start with so no need for lots of immediate power upgrades either.

When I was looking I found that there weren't many up for sale in the classifieds etc but as soon as I put a wanted ad out and made some noises quite a few tidy ones came out of the woodwork.

Dave

I think you are very sensible looking in to what 7 to purchase I bought mine on eBay and it was built by the left hand gang *wink*

It won't be long before you get the urge for ULTIMATE POWER probably after your first track day.

There is nothing wrong with any of the above and all have problems or costs associated,

but up grading is easier on some models than others.

For me, I am saving for a track car for 2008

The CarThe Club Built

Vvvrrrooomm

I agree, it's great to get all this advice. In my opinion, I think a standard 1.6 Superlight makes a great first Seven.

> It has a good spec so avoids having to spend too much with upgradeitis.

> It has enough power for a novice to learn and grow into: a lower powered seven may leave you wanting and a Superlight R may get a novice into trouble (I stress the 'may').

> For the car maintenance novice the k-series may also make better sense, as I hear they can be relatively maintenance free.

> If you get a standard Superlight it is a blank canvas for you to 'make it your own'

That's my two penneth based on my novice experience anyway (I'm biased as I'm over the moon with my 1.6 Superlight). Good luck.

Lots of nonsense being printed abouts zetecs and ital axles... You can have zetecs in dedion cars too! Love mine personally. Key thing here is how much cash you want to throw at your car, how many miles you plan to do. Also, if you want to tinker. Also, how fast you might want your car to become and what your likely budget would be to achieve that pace!

I had a crossflow and liked it but wanted to be able to upgrade power past 160 brake without mad expense. I think K series are lovely things if you can find one in your budget and vauzhalls are cheap, very quick and tuneable if that's your bag. I personally think the latest car you can buy -the better. (That's the cat in the pidgeons)

Please mail me using the mailer above I'm in Oundle near Peterboough if it's any help. There's a Lincoln area meet that you could visit too.

PS. Mine's not a Q plate either

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec TB's + cams. I like my engine

Edited by - millsn on 23 Nov 2006 18:41:29

Bloggsy - is this making your decision any easier? *tongue*

I’ve spent 2 years with an LA, 145ish bhp, dry sumped x-flow, which I picked up for £7,500, which is about as low as they go. Great value but if I had my time again and a little more money, I'd definately go for a de-dion (ideally with LSD!) as you can put better rubber on the car without risking breaking the axle which would be nice especially on the track. I currently limit the car to A021Rs which seem to hold me back but it's probably that I'm a crap driver. Engine wise I'd be less bothered.

If you are thinking a tracking it, a dry sump offers piece of mind and noise can be an issue with x-flows - I had to spend a few hundred quid replacing the empty tin can on the side of the car for a repackable job in order to reduce the 106dB the car was banging out at 4,500rpm when I got it. It is now 'quiet' at 98dB.

Most importantly get as much power as you can afford 😬.

Tim

Decision easier? Probably not, but it will certainly be a better informed decision WHEN I make it!

Today it is looking like a Xflow, tomorrow? Who knows. I think the important thing for me to do now is to go out and get my bum on some seats (Don't worry sellers, there will be layers of clothing between my 🙆🏻 and your leather!)

Thanks for all the support here, and elsewhere.

Bloggsy

Second the 1.6 superlight as a good car. Bear in mind there isn't much difference between that and a 1.6 superSPORT - a bit of carbon fibre, officially the SL had no screen but most people added them, and possibly carpets are added to the SS.

SS cars fetch less money for what is essentially the same thing. The difference might well get you a 6 speed box, dry sump or LSD, none of which were "standard" fit on a SL, as I recall.

I've had my xflow for 4+ years now. 44K *confused* miles, no rebuild so far and no smoke on start up, bodywork and chasis in very good condition, well looked after and easy to work on. Breathes a little bit when the engine is hot, but TADTS, makes a beautiful noise with a side exit exhaust. I love it for its character.

Having said that, I drove Dave Jackson's very well sorted K series and it felt like a completely different car, felt (and I'm sure it was *tongue*) much quicker and more involved with the 6 speed box and no screen. I 😬 😬ed for days after that.

I'm just stubborn and refuse to catch upgraditis, all I need now is a double garage and some dosh so I can buy a second one *thumbup* *tongue*

Dry-sumped White Supersprint *smile*

Standard Superlight came with a lot more than a bit of extra carbon, 6 Speed Box, LSD, Front Brake Upgrade, Widetrack, Lightened Flywheel were all standard fit (plus of course the Superlight Plaque on the dash).

Oh and they do make a very good, fun, driveable Caterham.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Superlight #85