Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Staying legal with a new engine

TomB

Im building up a 1.8 to replace my 1996 1.4 engine & before I get too commited, I want to know what I need to do to keep it legal.

The original fit 1.4k has its Caterham engine number stmped on the block. The rover number is unknown having been ground away for the starter. The 1.8 block also has its Rover number ground off, however there is a barcoded sticker that has most of the Rover number, minus a couple of figures I cant read. The engine has come via QED who built it up a couple years who do not hold a record of the number.

It has been suggested to me to stamp the engine number from that on the chassis plate/ old 1.4 so the new engine matches the chassis plate & then keep the old 1.4 in the garage so it does not enter ciculation again. It has also been suggested that I make a number up.

Presumably the DVLA need to know, so what do I tell them? Is it all handled fairly easily through amendments to the V5 form? What about when it comes to MOT in April - will the MOT computer see a 1.4?

What have others done in this situation?

• Support Team

It's easy to make the change at DVLA - just fill in the new number and note the new capacity on the V5 and send it off. When I changed my engine Dave made a note of the engine number before it was ground off and I used this on the form - I haven't stamped it on the engine. I would just use the number you have and ignore the 2 digits you can't read - I don't think it is that important. Alternatively you could keep the same engine number and grind it off your 1.4 should you sell it on.

If your car was kit built then it is visibile smoke test only so it doesn't matter what the computer says. My first MOT with the computerised system was this year and we selected what the car was before the engine replacement (1600 in my case) to get the right model. If your car was factory built then you will need to pass whatever emissions test the 1.4 needed.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I have said nothing to the DVLA this year when my engine went bang. I got a new block and just used the number off my old engine. It will not go back into circulation, It's got a FB hole in the side of it. 😳

When I built my WES^&^$(D Th etwincam I bought did not have an engine no.So I made one up *thumbup* and stamped it into the block

RED 2.0 HPC 230BHP *thumbup* *smile*

It doesn't appear to be too important what engine number you choose. My new 2.3l Duratec was given a 5 digit number by the engine builders last year which was on the application form for SVA although by the time I received the V5 nearly 1 year later DVLA, bless 'em, had it down as a '1798cc number unknown'. *confused*

My even newer Duratec now has the same number and I have no idea what has happened to the old engine although I doubt that will ever see life in another engine bay!

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 20 Nov 2006 15:32:35

I made mine up. ISTR it is registered as PSC 001... *smile*

Never got around to stamping it on the engine though. I do have pics of the original number somewhere - but what point is that now that the grinder has been at it?

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I think it's a bit off to re-use the old number - think of all the historic racers etc. that struggle to prove authenticity - and the number of duplicates of famous cars.

On a more mundane level, some future owner is going to be horribly confused.

Nothing wrong with making your own number up though - as long as you tell the DVLA.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com