Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

I've Done a stupid thing!!

Peter T

When i had my metal gearknob on it came loose a lot, even after titghenting the grubsrew several times. So i decided to use Loctite on the thread.

Now having to undo it it is solid. ☹️

I cannot turn it at all. *confused*

It is well and truly stuck?

It looks like i will have to cut the bl**dy thing of to remove the transmission tunnel?

What a waste of £45. *thumbdown*

Any ideas???

R500 Mango Madness

Not sure if it is possible - but have you tried to lift the tunnel to see if you can get to the 3 bolts that hold the gear selector in? I can't think whether there is enough space or not, could be worth a try, at least you'd get the whole lot away from the car to work on further.

Pete. I know you've said "heat is not an option" but what about using a hot air gun ? I did the same thing with the loctite on my Ginetta to prevent the removal of my hand spun knob 😳 & found later that It would'nt budge. It was the high strength stuff as well ☹️ It put up a bit of a fight but the heat gun/stilson solution worked for me.

Can't you lift the tunnel up as far as possible (over the handbrake), and then release the gear lever from the box. You can then put the lever in a vice and apply some more pressure.

EDIT: Just read fom the top and sounds like you've got it off the car already...

See some pictures of the build here. 11000 miles completed!

Edited by - 7heavensoon on 20 Nov 2006 08:39:46

Pete,

Cut the gear lever, then use a blowtorch on the stub, that will knacker the loctite and you should be able to get your knob off *eek* unless you've already ruined it with the mole grips ☹️. I may have a standard shift you could use as a replacement.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell - Surrey AO and Su77on Se7ener

As its off the car, if the knobs bu99ered anyway, can you drill down through the top of the knob and then saw it in half to peel it off the gear stick. I'm surprised a hot air gun won't loosen the loctite. That's how I get the ends off my Leda shocks. Putting lots of wet towels and protection around the cover should protect it from the heat if you're careful. Two sets of hands might also help.