Click here if you are having website access problems ×

noise

michael barkham

My 1800 x/flow with 4-into-1 side exit managed 110 dB, but that was with the original 5" Caterham silencer that was 7 years old . Not surprising really. But since I've changed to a 6" Techcraft silencer it's gone down to 98 dB, athough it's on the way up again (102 at the last count) but at least it can be repacked fairly easily/cheaply.

My 1800 X-Flow measured 98db static @ 4500 revs at Bedford, I think the limit 1s either 102 or 104db static. It's a good track with loads of run-off if you have a brown-trouser moment blush.gifwink.gif

Edited by - chrisd on 11 Mar 2002 20:48:26

Angus

Somebody took a noise meter to the Brooklands event last year and put together a list of the results. I'm not sure who it was but a search of blatchat around early May last year might turn it up.

There is a noise test at most sprints, and the scrutineers will probably check a non competing car after they have finished the competitors.

Jonathan

• Leadership Team

The Brooklands readings are posted here: http://www.lotus7club.co.uk/events/Brooklands/2001noise.htm

However, these were drive-by readings, not static as measured at most tracks. I certainly have found that scrutineers at most tracks are more than happy to measure your car once the competitors have gone through on race days.

Regards,

Michael.

understanding that for accurate figures a car would need to be tested individually.

The static test thing can be something of a lottery, with reflections from nearby buildings and other nearby cars, plus measurement of the blip to bring it up to the appropriate revs.

Honestly, in typical use my car is dead quiet...

If you have looked at the brooklands page it is worth noting that the Meter in use only reads to 110dba, My car and F737 RPJ have consistent 110db readings which should be read as 110db+

Aparently I had not even reached the meter when it flashed up 110+ so I have no idea how loud it is, That is a bit of a moot point as I would only be allowed onto the few unlimited noise track days.

PS I had to cut and paste the link to the brooklands page, I was not able to find it via the home page, was I just being vague or is there other info that can only be reached if you have a link?