Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Pressure - 1.6 Super Sport

Anthony Micallef

I have had my car 2 weeks now and while its been fabulous i'm a bit concerned with the oil pressure. When the engine is warm and the car is idling it points to the red, but when i'm driving along it only goes up to the 2. Do I have a problem? Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question but I am a mechanically illiterate.

At last I own one teeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gif

Sorry for the ignorance but do I just need to change the dial thats physically on the dash or is it everything thats attached to it as well? What is the oil pressure supposed to be on one of these cars?

Edited by - anthony micallef on 11 Mar 2002 14:24:21

Have you checked the oil level?

Are you running with an Apollo unit?

Give us a bit more info and we might be able to suggest some more things to check.

T 1 PPB - Superlight

"Well yes officer I'm not arguing, it's just that [insert excuse here]..."

Anthony, the sender fits into the housing to which the filter attaches. Should be easy enough to spot. I changed mine last year, as the pressure started to waver a bit in steady-state driving. I gained a bar of pressure. The electrical oil pressure system is really for guidance only; don't take the numbers too literally. ISTR others saying that you lose a few pounds of oil pressure when an Apollo tank is in the oil system anyway.

Didn't you buy the car from Caterham ? Presumably there'll be some form of guarantee. Get them to re-assure you...

4k in my 1.6SS from new. Appollo fiteed and always ticks over with oil pressure ~2bar when warm or 4bar when cold. anything over 3krpm and sits at 4bar.

'Spose i'll be chamging all sorts over the next couple of weeks now I've cursed it!!

How did you check the oil level? Did you have the car running and up to temp?

If not that is the way to do it.

If you did it this way then it could be the sender as previosly offered

T 1 PPB - Superlight

"Well yes officer I'm not arguing, it's just that [insert excuse here]..."

Anthony

You have mail, Its about time I had your phone number, because I am wearing out my keyboard and getting rsi in me fingers. wink.gif

I will be able to answer most of your question better on the phone and if there is any thing you don't understand I can hopefully cover these item quicker, I don't mind talking to you and making the odd call .

Edited by - Snapper on 12 Mar 2002 00:48:25

I was told that the correct way to check the oil level when you have an Apollo is to run the engine for 2 minutes, switch off and wait for 30 seconds, then use the dip stick.

Is this still the procedure?

Did Anthony do this when he checked?

Certainly our 1600 K is sensitive to oil level. If the oil level drops, through inattention or a track day, the pressure goes down too.

Panic over. I have spoken to the previous owner (Snapper,L7 Club photographer) and basically the pressure has been thoroughly checked out in the past with a change of pressure guage also. There is also a big orange light on the dash which is an oil pressure warning light (wondered what that was for, thanks Snapper) so I shouldn't have anything to worry about.