Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Newbie Wiring Question

c7trp

• Support Team

I've only had my 7 a week, so excuse the numpty questions!

Front head lamps - only the near side one works on main beam.

Been to Halfrauds and purchased new bulb (declined the dolly birds offer for her to fit it for me for 2.99 *eek* )

Still no main beam. Swapped bulb for near side, same problem. Wiring prob me thinks *confused*

I haven't had chance for a proper look at the wiring, but does anyone know if each lamp is wired separately back to the switch, or does the switch wire 'split' somewhere to go to each lamp?

I'm expecting a loose wire somewhere.

Cheers

Edited by - tim pollard on 17 Nov 2006 20:39:48

ISTR both main beam lamps are on the same fuse circuit (No 8 in my 97 Roadsport). A single (blue/white) wire exits the fusebox and then must split. I'd take a look at the lighting connector at the front of the engine bay on the side you have an issue with. Not sure where the split of the wire coming from the fuse is...I'm sure somebody more knowledgable than I will be along with than nugget of info shortly.

Tim, I think you'll find the "junction" by the o/s headlamp bracket as it exits near the rad. The usual problem is a bad "bullet" connection or the wire is broken away from the connector.

If you can get male and female spade connectors and the wire is long enough then change the connectors.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

You're going to need a multi meter or test lamp to test for -ve 12v. You can make a simple test lamp using a crock clip, wire, and low wattage bulb and a suitable probe( thin screwdriver with the end filed to a sharp point).Fasten the clip to earth, then you can test at various positions, checking that the bulb lights.

Good luck.

Cheers J&J

<=====-----------X---------------crock clip

probe wire bulb wire

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)

Edited by - johnjulie on 18 Nov 2006 09:00:12

Edited by - johnjulie on 18 Nov 2006 09:01:23

Edited by - johnjulie on 18 Nov 2006 09:02:33

• Support Team

Found it!

Broken pin in the multi-connector that links the main loom to the front lamp and indicator assy.

When the hail stones stop, I'll fit a spade connector...

Thanks for all your help.