Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Its gone from bad to worse!

Ade Ray

Hi everyone (anyone?)

After my problems of the other day I have encountered another problem that I do not think is related.

Driving home the car (Katie the 1600 x-flow) I begin to here a the occasional 'shorting' type click from under the middle of the dash. This clicking gets more pronounced and at the same time the engine starts to judder. The red warning light is also flickering and suddenly is just lit up as my car dies on me and I coast to a gentle (and quiet) stop. I check to see if my kill switch has come loose but it is ok. When I try to start the engine the red light comes on and I get a whine but no turn over of the engine.

I sit there for a few minutes cursing under my breath (not too loud - the car might hear). After a few minutes (4-5) I try the ignition and the car starts first time.

Its a mystery to me but then most things are (see my other post)

Is this an earthing problem and if so where do I start.

I am wondering that with all the other stuff going on with Katie at the moment I perhaps should simply hand her over to Mr King and ask nicely if I could have back all mended.

Ade sad.gif

Make the world a better place, hug an estate agent

Ade - Does the car have an immobiliser?

If so it may have developed a mind of its own. They are usually installed to cut the ignition circuit, and fitted under the dash where clicking noise was coming from.

They are also notoriously unrelaiabel, and I understadnd the biggest cause of callouts for the AA/RAC with modern cars.

Jonathan

I wonder if the clicking is a relay on the low tension side of the ignition. I'll check my wiring diagram tonight and let you know. If your car has the big red cut out switch on the side of the scuttle then this could be a problem area but the clicking does sound like a relay and they are under the dash on the passenger side and they do get hot if faulty and then cool down and work.

Hi Everyone

Yes I do have have a cut out switch and I do know that if it got loose it would duplicate my fault but it was the first thing I tried when I stopped and it seemed fine and even though I took the red key off and put it back on again there was no dofference.

John, thanks in advance for checking up on this relay issue. I bought Katie second hand as an ex-scholarship car and so I have no technical manuals.

Ade

You can get a manual from Caterham. imo its good value and gives wiring diagrams, service info etc etc. Alternaltively get the Tony Wheal book.

Back to your problem. check all connections on the cut out. its in an awkward place with lots of wires around it. if its shorting then there will be a noise from any relay on that circuit as it cuts in and out. more importantly is the risk of an electrical fire under the dash. will copy the diagrams and if you give me a fax number I'll send them tomorrow.

Hi everyone

Many thanks for the all the info from everyone. It seems to me that consensus is forming that I have at least one dodgy relay (a bit like the British at the last Olympics).

My Fax number at work is 01926 311441. It is switched on at 9.00am and turns off at 6.00pm to avoid junk faxes.

Thanks again to all, I am determined to get Katie in 100% form before Curborough!

Ade smile.gif

Ade Ray.

I have been chasing an electrical gremlin for a while and it turns out to be the ignition switch itself. The terminals on the back (male spade) are rivetted onto the internal switching posts. The rivet 'head' on mine had loosened off allowing the contact to drift in & out of the rear housing causing a make/break as vibration or road conditions (bumpy) etc dictated. A real dog of a job to track!!!

Worth a look?

Fax on its way. Have to admit that I cant see a relay on the ignition side but my eye sight is crap so maybe you can follow the circuit somewhat better than me. i think that Chris's suggestion on the ignition switch is definately worth a look as well.

Hi everyone

Thanks for the fax john. Did you know that if you look at the wiring diagram long enough you can make out the face of John Lennon!

On a more truthful note I am most grateful for all the advice. I am going to see if I can stick my head under the dash in a few minutes to check out the ignition option.

Ade smile.gif