Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

O/T Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World

Bozz

Alright, alright so I didn't do a search first *confused*

How about the largest single shaft steam turbine generator then at 1750Megawatts which by my rough calculations is equivalent to about 2,300,000 hp *eek* *eek*.

It's yet to be built mind.

Makes the diesel above look weedy.

Bozz

McLaren Orange and Black 1.6SS 6 Speed here

In a few years time, it'll be apart again...platic dowells replaced by steel ones, HG failure's, loose crank pulley's and Emerald will be building and ECU for it the size of a house......'cause it won't idle properly on the standard one! Finally, some greek shipping magnate with more money than sense will fettle it up to a zillion horse power, screaming at 400rpm, just before the push fit gudgeon pin, the size of a car makes a bid for freedomn into the abyssal plain!

What they really should have built was a gigantic Xflow, mated to huge webbers, just think of the noise when she leaves port!

On a similar matter if you live near Sheffield and haven't been to Kelham Island they fire up a Victorian engine which ran the early rolling mill.

You can see the crank and rods, the pistons and valve gear.

Quite amazing to see and a fraction the size of the one above.

This is Kelham Island page here and here (the spiky thing in the lowest picture is a Swiss Army type knife made for an exhibition by one of the many Sheffield knife manufacturers now sadly all gone)

ed to add this link here and to mention they have a Merlin unground crankshaft. Rolls Royce Merlin engines were made in Sheffiled during the war.

If you do visit get someone else to drive because the Fat Cat pub is just outside............

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

Edited by - nverona on 16 Nov 2006 16:42:05

Whilst at college I went around Ambrose Shardlow in Sheffield, they used to drop forge commercial cranks, 1 minunte a glowing red billet 10 seconds and 2 almighty blows latter a crank, pretty much de flashed too *smile*

The force of this 'small' drop was enough to make you jump off the ground when it hit and the skill of the operater in throwing the release agent in at just the right moment otherwise the crank went back up in the die.

They did have a drop for marine applications we saw this however it was idle at the time - bloody massive, seems they'd had the opperating time of this drop restricted following complaints from the residents of Rotherham! - I can only imagine the sight and power of that in operation *eek*.